a weekend date & pregnancy cravings {and anti-cravings}

How was your weekend? We had a fun and relaxing one- it started with a date in the big city {Dallas}. We had almost 24 hours alone, thanks to my awesome Dad who kept the kiddos! :D He's the best!


We left around lunchtime Friday, after we picked up some Wendy's to eat in the car on the trip. I had the Apple Pecan Chicken Salad, which gets the award for best fast-food salad EVER:


It has bleu cheese, roasted pecans, and two kinds of apples with a really good pomegranate vinaigrette. It was so filling I couldn't even eat my baked potato.

We hit the fabric store {every man's dream, right? Right up there with going to Goodwill... ;)}. Or at least I did anyway, while Rob napped in the car. It was the biggest one I've been to in a while:


Oddly enough, out of all that fabric, I didn't find much I would want. Most of it was upholstery fabric. I really only liked this bird one in the middle:


I loved the cream and teal and red combo- it reminded me of Anthropologie. {Here's a link, if you like it too! :)}. I didn't buy anything, but I always try to keep good fabrics in mind that match the house.

Oh, and speaking of good old Anthro :), we {I} had fun stopping in to gaze and gather ideas. I have no idea why, but I probably would never set anything up like this at my house, yet I still completely adore all the funky blends of color and how nothing matches:



I managed to find a few tops that I liked while I was there too:


My fave was this one {and my husband's too}- a cute Peter Pan tee in my two favorite colors:


Just $48. ;) And loose and flowy {perfect for pregnancy, right honey?}...I'll wait for the sale, I suppose. ;)

I loved it, but I felt like I've seen it somewhere else before. Have you seen it before too? Or is it just a very common style? hmmm.... I'm going to check Marshall's and Ross. The other two were on sale, and even a price I might have been willing to pay if I had really loved them.

After we were done the mall, we went for an early dinner at the Cheesecake Factory, where the saddest thing happened. After eating an appetizer of 3-4 onion rings with ranch {healthy food for the baby, you know}, I ordered the most amazingly huge salad I have ever seen:


Pictures just don't do it justice, but it was this salad-loving girl's dream plate. See the size of my thumb on the side? That salad was enormous- bigger than my two hands stretched across it and piled high with veggies and chicken. :)

I was so excited....I dug in and I ate all of five whole bites before I was completely {and horribly} stuffed.

$15 worth of good salad... and I couldn't eat 1/10th of it! Maybe it was the onion ring appetizer on an empty stomach, but oh, the heart break. I've lost my appetite since- I think the baby is growing because I haven't wanted to eat salad lately- especially at night. It's so SAD. But I think it will pass soon enough. 

We didn't even get dessert at the Cheesecake Factory. We decided to stop by my new favorite place when I was feeling better, because I still had a craving that could only be fulfilled in the DFW area.

It was this artificially-flavored icy happiness in a 32 oz. cup:


A sugar-free peach-mandarin slurpee from 7-11. Can you believe there are no 7-11's anywhere near East Texas?? I searched high and low on the internet to find one. :(

Now I want a slurpee machine in my house. Would that be really weird?

Ahh, the strange side effects of pregnancy. I can't eat salad now, and I love Slurpees. And buffalo wing sauce- which again, I only eat while I'm pregnant. I don't want pickles at the moment, but I love salted lemons {so bad!}.

Please tell me I'm not alone. :)

What's the weirdest craving you've ever had? {pregnant or not?}
Not pregnant: steamed broccoli, cabbage, and tofu and mushrooms.
Pregnant: one of the above- Slurpees, which I've never liked until now. And Cool Ranch Doritos topped with hamburger-sliced pickles in the first 8 weeks. Which kind of makes me feel gross right now, but it's actually really good.

What's your favorite thing to do on a date? Do you go shopping for fun? :)

Have you ever ordered something expensive and felt great sadness when you couldn't eat much of it too, even though you wanted to? 

Oddly enough, that never happens to me with desserts. I can't remember leaving any of those uneaten. Maybe we should have started with those this weekend... :P

32 comments

Hannah said...

I totally craved Slushies during both of my pregnancies! And when we go to Cheesecake Factory to eat, we never get desert. Like ever. I have no idea why...

Mandy said...

Wohoo for Slurpees? They are SO good! And something about that place is so filling, you just can't imagine eating more! :D It almost should be just a dessert place, but their food is soo good too, it would be a shame! :D I love their cake {non-cheese version} when we do order it! :D

Stephanie Z├╝rcher said...

I don't really have any cravings, but I can just tell when I really need a certain food group! Like protein, or fat especially. Also, if I don't get enough fresh veggies and fruit, I don't feel so chipper. I do tend to want salty things...sweet doesn't sound so good! And I can't stand orange-flavored baked goods!

Once in a while I've bought chocolate or a drink at the store because I was just too hungry or thirsty to make it home. And I always see delicious things online.

I have a dairy allergy and just moved to Switzerland before getting pregnant, so all my usual DF treats aren't available!

Erin said...

I couldn't get enough hot sauce when I was pregnant!

Karen Johnson said...

So with my oldest boy I could not get enough of slushies, smoothies...anything frozen and fruity - my oldest hates smoothies! Go figure!
With my middle boy it was Red Chile Burritos...in fact anyhting with chile - my middle loves hot stuff including hot wing sauce on everyhting. Kids are so unpredictable. ;)

Jessica Fierro said...

I ate a whole lemon Dipped in sea salt the other day. It grossed my husband out, but it satisfied this mama!

Mandy said...

awww! I hope you can make some DF treats to take care of those cravings! :D I know what you mean about needing a certain food- proteins have been so high on my list lately! :)

Joya Towne said...

I bet you'll be able to find that top at Ross! I know I've seen something very similar there anyway.
With my second boy, I was sick ALOT but I craved zucchini (weird, huh?) And sometime during the first 6 months or so after he was born, while breastfeeding, I had the strongest cravings for Little Debbie brownies. And I really never buy anything like that but I bought a box, ate two and forced the rest upon the guys I work with so I wouldn't eat the entire box!!
My husband and I love to go on dates to Books A Million. We buy a yummy coffee drink and just walk around and read and look at books. We used to do it all the time before kids and now it's a rare thing but we always look forward to it!

Mandy said...

mmmmm!!! Could you still eat it after the baby was born? I love spicy during pregnancy, and then the baby has usually been super sensitive and then I can't eat them at all for a year because of bfing! so weird!

Mandy said...

Frozen and fruity is my favorite right now too! And where did you get red chile burritos? Sounds yum!

Mandy said...

Now that's my girl! hehehe! I LOVE salty lemons-and my husband hates them too, lol!

Mandy said...

Oh the bookstore date sounds fun! We like to do that one too! I can't believe you craved zucchini! It's so veggie-ish! I used to love little Debbie brownies when I was young- now it sounds pretty amazing too!!

Karen Johnson said...

I live in NM....they put red or green chile on everything in NM! :)

Tammy G. said...

I couldn't eat salad at all when I was pregnant but loved! sweet potatoes! Ate sweet potatoes by the bushel =)
Sounds like your pregnancy is going well.

Jamie said...

So far, I've craved french fries (the saltier, the better), baked potatoes, bagels, and fruit! Today I really want California rolls. Yesterday I had THE BEST fruit cup! I seriously hunted down a fork in the grocery store and barely made it out the door before opening it.

Leigh Anne said...

So glad you got a wonderful date!
Hubby & I love to go shopping when we go on dates. I love it too because he always talks me into buying something for me :)
I was sick for the 1st trimester w/ #3 and I didn't want anything really. During that time, not even ice cream sounded good....and I LOVE ice cream! Especially BlueBell! With baby 1#, I craved food with "substance" during the 1st trimester....couldn't do my normal salads. One day I got home from work and bought all the ingredients for chili-cheese hot dogs (including chili from a can...gross!!)! I don't eat those on a normal basis...but it sure tasted good! Hubby thought I was crazy :)

Ashley Elizabeth said...

I was sick all but 10 days of my pregnancy. The only think that would keep me from throwing up was chocolate milk. Also, I started loving watermelon which I have disliked my entire life. My baby just turned 4 and I still love it. I can't wait to have anither baby... Maybe one day soon.

Jenna said...

I was crazy sick with my first and threw up every day for the first 4-5 months. The only thing I could tolerate some days was a peach slushy from 7-11! HA! I remember one day I made sauteed zucchini, bacon, and chocolate chip cookies for supper because it was the only thing that seemed appealing at the time.

Mandy said...

I usually love those too! I wonder if they'd be good now? :D thank you!

Mandy said...

LOL! I know that feeling!! I am dying for fruit! :) Do you mean sushi california rolls? I LOVE those!

Mandy said...

No blue bell?? That would be awful! I did eat a hot dog because I wanted one too! It was bizarre but yummy!

Mandy said...

oh, I'm so sorry! And I'm so excited you love watermelon! It's my #1 fruit! I hope you feel better with the next one. I know I did on the second one! :)

Mandy said...

Great minds!! Wohoo for 7-11!!! Now I need to try your dinner- we must have the same tastebuds! :P

Mandy said...

totally weird, i too was a slurpee girl! the ONLY thing i would crave during pregnancies. it seemed {at least mentally} to make me feel less yucky :) all that red dye #5?!

JoyBelle said...

Our last date we went to CF as well and I got the Chicken and Biscuits. They took it off the menu but I asked the waiter if it could still be made (it could: SCORE!). I ate maybe 10 bites out of the thing?! Funnily enough something will taste AMAZING at the restaurant. But when I try to reheat it the next day for lunch or dinner? GAG!!! I am gagging so bad this pregnancy with anything and everything it seems. When we got to CF we take a piece of cheesecake home to enjoy later when we're not so stuffed.

Okay weirdest craving? Oh man my poor brain cannot think. Usually I crave something, then it's amazing or just okay BUT then I can't have it again. One time it was toasted cheese raviolis. I snarfed them down and then couldn't look at them again.

Lisa Suit said...

With all three of my pregnancies (20.5 weeks right now with our third) I have craved spicy food. I love spicy food to begin with, but so much more while I'm pregnant! Other than that with my first I didn't have specific cravings, just when something sounded good I wanted it NOW! With our second I craved salt and vinegar chips and hot dogs (except I'm a vegetarian ..figure that out, lol) and with this baby it's been salads! I normally have a huge sweet tooth but am not wanting sweets at all, it's so strange!

Janelle said...

I am craving cold juicy fruit (18 weeks). Last week my husband and I went grocery shopping together and I was skipping around the produce section. Happily grabbing up raspberries, blackberries, grapefruit, grapes, and clementines. I had one grapefruit the first night and the next night I washed and cut up the other one and screeched in delight as it was a red grapefruit! My husband was laughing so hard at me but it was so delicious! Food is finally starting to taste sublime and I am crazy excited! :) Also if someone else makes me a salad I feel swoony with joy! For some reason if other people make me a salad it just tastes better. I am gluten free so I made myself some onion rings the other day to enjoy with my salad. Best thing ever! I have always found it so weird what you want when pregnant.
I have never had a slushy before or a salted lemon. The lemon sounds weird.:) It made my cheeks pucker when I read it. I have been drinking tons of what I call green lemonade...romaine lettuce, cucumber, celery, lemon, and apple run through my juicer. So refreshing.

aimee said...

Don't worry Mandy - you're not alone on the slurpees! I craved the cola ones with my second pregnancy. I think it helped to settle my stomach. My second just turned 7 today - such a blessing. Good luck with your pregnancy. You're blog and words are very inspiring.

Christa @ BrownSugarToast said...

Ahhhh!!!! Yes - I have been too full for yummy things I loved. It's horrid! That happened last week while we were at Chili's eating ribs, but I kept eating. And finally I had to consciously tell myself to STOP!!! Or else I knew bad things would happen. lol!

Kristen said...

I just found your blog!! LOVE! Thank you for writing such lovely posts - I'm feeling so inspired to be a better woman. :) How far along are you on this pregnancy? Congrats!

mom24orsinis said...

wonder if you're anemic? I always craved crushed ice with my anemic pregnancies...I do remember craving mustard and vinegar with my last pregnancy and, being a COMPLETE dessert-a-holic, was shocked when I had an aversion to desserts in my second pregnancy...I craved tons of eggs with my first pregnancy...nothing too crazy :)

I am one of those lucky women who married a man who loves to shop, even if we shop for different things ;) One of our favorite weekend getaways is heading up North here in Michigan and hitting all the outlets! We both love it :)

you look great...enjoy it and, like you said, don't stress about the weight changes...it is all temporary and you will feed your baby every pound of it :)

Russell Jackson said...

With my oldest daughter, I craved dark chocolates and peanuts. That was an odd experience for me because prior to pregnancy I never liked chocolates and peanuts. Also, apart from food cravings, i barely had any pregnancy symptoms.