Wednesday, March 20, 2013

homemaking hack #3: hair gear organization

Warning: the following homemaking hack may not apply to people without a headband obsession. :)

I have professed my love for headbands in the past, and even took a week to fast from them because I was so addicted. ;)

But if you are in love with headbands like me, this easy little organization trick might work for you!

I hang all of my hair gear on an over-the-door towel hook in the bathroom like this:

That's probably not even all of my collection. :P 
I'm sure I could dig a few more out of the bathroom drawers, my purse, my gym bag, and my nightstand. :)

I love using this hook method because I can see which headband I want to wear, and it keeps them from getting all messy and tangled in the bathroom drawers. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled out a headband from the drawer without looking at it and worn it in public with a big smudge of makeup on the top of it. So this headband rack has also technically saved me from tons of embarrassment too. ;)

Sometimes I put my ponytail holders on the top hooks, but at the moment I've lost them all and need to buy another new package. Are ponytail holders one-time use only at your house too? Mine either break when I try to put them in my hair or they disappear to the same place where all the missing socks are right now. And I've yet to find that place. Have you? {oooh... I've never looked under the dryer!}.

If you're not a headband person, you could use this kind of rack to organize your necklaces and bracelets on your bathroom door. I'm still using this to organize my jewelry, but this door rack sometimes holds my jewelry temporarily too. :)

And I was thinking if you have lots of hair bows, you could also tie a pretty ribbon on each hook to make one of those cute little girl bow holders. {I just love girly hair bows, don't you? We need more of those around here... but both of my girls seem to be genetically inclined to lose them for some reason...??}.

I bought my hook rack at Marshall's for somewhere around $10 a few years ago, and it's been working hard for us ever since... and hey, it can do double duty and hold clean clothes and towels too! :)



How do you store your hair accessories? 

Thick-haired friends- what is the best brand of ponytail holders to buy? I'm so cheap I buy the dollar package and end up breaking every one before they even go twice around my hair!!

Do you ever find yourself wearing the same hairdo over and over, just because it's comfortable?
I have to keep my hair out of my eyes when I workout, so I keep falling back to the same headband style. I like having the hair off of my neck too for some reason... :)

22 comments:

Ulrika said...

Yes, I am a ponytail and braid girl myself. I don't like it when the hair gets in the way or tickles my forehead. :D It's also nice to keep the hair away from sticky baby and toddler fingers as much as possible. :D

Angel said...

My hair is SO THICK that I gave up on ponytail holders because they usually snap within seconds on my hair.

I use one of those headbands as a ponytail holder and either wear my hair up in a huge bun {which gives me a headache a lot of the time} or in a cute pony tail with my curls falling all over the place.

Speaking of headbands...I need to get some more as my current one is starting to look like it's wilting a bit.

How in the world do you get the thicker width ones to stay on your head?! I put them on and within seconds they're usually popping off and hitting someone in the head or flying into my cats litter box!

Anonymous said...

I buy the ones in a pack of multicolor bands without the metal part. they sell them at Target/Walgreens/etc. The thick bands work for her long/thick hair.

Jamie said...

I have thick hair too, and I always get the thick black ones (Goody brand) without the metal clasp. They are amazing!

Anonymous said...

I used to have thick hair - age has made it start to thin out. :( But when my hair was thick and long (and curly too!), I also used the Goody ones, which you can get at Target/WalMart. They work amazingly well! I also did the headband trick - this was great because headbands are easier to find in my basket than pony tail holders and they work great without slipping!

@Angel - I use cute, decorated metal clips (like dancers use) or bobby pins to hold them in place. You can see them, but if you get the cute ones that match your outfits, they actually add a little sparkle instead of looking boring. ;)

Nancy said...

My daughter has super thick, but straight hair. I buy the Goody rubbery (grippy) ones (sorry - can't remember the name). They look like jelly bracelets - no metal clip. They stay put all day. Not sure ~grippy~ is a word, but I'm going with it.

Nancy said...

@Anonymous - genius use of the clips to hold the headbands in place. I'm trying that on my daughter's hair. Thanks!

Mandy said...

Oh, I wish I could braid well! I love those!

Mandy said...

It's somehow so frustrating when you finally find one and it breaks on you, isn't it? :) I don't seem to have a problem with mine staying on {I think my head might be oddly shaped?}- but there are lots of good ideas with pins in the comments below! I hope you find a good solution! :D

Mandy said...

oh good to know! thanks! :D

Mandy said...

I'm going to have to go with Goody now! I don't remember if I ever buy those! Thanks for the tip!! :D

Mandy said...

Oh thank you for sharing! I'm so going to have to try the Goody's brand- the stores always get me with those cheap ones that never hold! :P

Mandy said...

oh! I wondered how those were! Do they hurt at all when you pull them out? And I do believe grippy is a great word! :D

Ashley said...

I don't have thick hair, I have super fine hair and have to wrap each band around my hair like 5 times to make it tight enough to hold! I've broken many hair bands LOL -- Goody without the metal clasp is the way to go!

Hattie said...

I have really thick & curly hair too! I'm just like you and buy the cheap bands and always end up braking those!!!! So when you find some that work for you let a sista know!!!!

Ulrika said...

There are so many fun braids and variations to do. You have daughters too so you can try on both yourself and them. ;) Making regular braids but with 4 or 5 chunks of hair instead of 3 is pretty (though you need rather long hair for that) and then there are different types of rope and chain braids. Here are a couple of links for you if you want to learn:

French rope:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYc8rJe7kTo

Chain braid (in Swedish but you can see what she does from just watching):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qbL1mFmVG_U

Elizabeth said...

I have very thick hair and I also use the big thick ones from Goody, but recently I switched to Scunci brand I like them better. They look the same as the Goody ones, and like Goody, you can also get them from Target or Walmart and they're about the same price, but so far they're holding better and in the months since I bought this package, none of them have broken on me.

BTW, my trick with my long, heavy, thick hair is to use two of the big ponytail holders instead of one. There's no way only one will support a ponytail, but two wrapped together holds it nicely.

Lisa said...

The Goody big no-slip ones are awesome. I can't get away with smaller ones (because I snap them) but the thicker banded ones last me quite a long time.

Mellissa Rose said...

I have super thick hair too. I buy the "no dent" kind of hair ties that I can also wear around my wrist. Here is a pack on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/111624181/womens-elastic-yoga-hair-ties-10-no-dent?ref=sr_gallery_12&ga_search_query=bracelet+hair+ties&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

I think I got mine from etsy or ebay. They last a super long time and don't break.

mwimp said...

those work so good! when my hair was long it would be about 1.5 to 2" diameter i couldnt use those old banana clips (good ness i think i just showed my age!) because its too thick. the only ones that wouldnt snap or give me a huge headache are these.

Denise said...

I use the elastic thin head bands and double and triple them as a pony holder and then use them as a head band when I'm not putting up in a pony. But I'm cheap. I want dual purpose things. ;)

Anonymous said...

ooh, you could put these hooks inside a cupboard or cupboard door where they wouldnt even be seen!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...