pregnancy update: baby #5, 22 weeks... and a surprise?


22 weeks! Hey, we're officially on the downhill side now! :D

So... we had our big ultrasound this week. As we walked into the room, the tech asked us if we want to find out the gender of the baby. 

We told him yes... or well, that we already know, but it couldn't hurt to make sure. :)

So he puts the jelly all over the cold wand and brings to the side of my belly, and instantly we see this perfect little bottom appear on the screen.

"Oh," he says, without looking up from the screen. "Is it a girl?"

Rob and I instantly look at each other with wide eyes. Not according to the last ultrasound we had at 16 weeks!

"I don't know- is it?" I ask. 

My heart started pounding in my chest as we waited for him to tell us...

Oh my goodness, what will we do with a girl? I start thinking about having a third girl, and her name, and it feels like my whole world is changing suddenly. We've already bought boy stuff...we've been calling him... er, her... a boy name all this time.

All these thoughts start flying around in my head....I'm squinting as hard as I can at the tiny screen, craning my neck to see what he's seeing. This is our 5th baby, so for the last 4 ultrasounds or so I've been able tell what gender it is before the tech announces it. And I'm not seeing any little boy parts either. Nope... nothing there.

"Hmm..well..." he says, as he adjusts the wand on my belly just a little. "I don't see any..."

"Wait, no, there it is... he was just hiding from us!" 

And... all of the sudden I can breathe again. Phew

Goodness, man. Do not mess with a pregnant girl like that. :)

I really never cared one way or the other about a specific gender, but somehow changing it in the middle seemed huge and scary! :) 

So... it's still a boy. He made sure and showed us repeatedly after that! ;)

Here's my 22 week update:

How I'm feeling:
Tired. Really, really {really} tired, and I can only guess it's because the baby has been growing like a weed. My belly is very much showing now, and I have no energy whatsoever. :) Allergy season is in full swing, and I've never noticed the pollen bothering me until this year. I'm sneezy, stuffy, and can't breathe at night which makes me grumpy too. ;)

If I had to guess, I would imagine this is the middle of the heavy growth spurt that normally happens from about week 18 to week 32 or so for me... :) I usually grow really fast and feel the most tired when the baby is growing the most {well, percentage-wise anyway. :) }.

Eating:
I haven't been very hungry this week, but I have been working hard to make sure I get lots of protein. I have been loving my grilled chicken with buffalo sauce, cottage cheese, and greek yogurt for most meals. I'm liking mostly plain things- nothing too spicy or sour or flavored. {other than the buffalo sauce- I don't know why I love it, but I do!}

I noticed about mid-week that I was completely exhausted, and remembered I hadn't eaten many carbs since Saturday because I just didn't want any. I ate a sandwich and some fro-yo for lunch on Wednesday and felt much better. So now I'm just trying to remember to eat some bread/sugar every now and then so that I don't get too low on energy. This preggo body is always keeping me on my toes!

Body Changes:
Everything is growing on schedule, and average as far as I can tell for me. It's just happening as my body wants to, and that's the way it goes in my pregnancies.

I find myself rubbing my belly now and again, and it's so fun. :) I am slowly outgrowing some of my clothes every week, and in the past 3 weeks I've become fully preggo looking. Strangers are asking me what I'm having. :)

I pulled out my maternity clothes today and realized they were now 10 years old. WHAT in the world? I must have been at this for a while! A decade of style changes makes a bit of a difference for sure. :)

3 weeks later makes a big difference! :)



Exercising:
I'm slowing way down here for sure, because the tiredness is killing me in this department. I teach my classes and feel fine, but I have little energy to do much else right now, which is discouraging, but hopefully it's just because of the stage I'm in at the moment. I exercise 1-1.5 hours, 4 or 5 days/week right now, which is probably more than plenty in reality, though it's far less than I'm used to doing. I'm trying to take it easy and sleep/rest more since I'm having to move more weight around when I work out. :)

Baby:
He was right in the middle percentile for everything and measured about 2 days ahead of my due date, weighing in at a little over 1 lb. I  was so excited to see his little arms and legs moving on the screen. He gets the hiccups frequently and I saw him having them during the ultrasound. Oh, baby cuteness. It made me really get excited about holding his little hands and cuddling and nursing him when he gets here. :)

Birth plans:
We've started talking about the logistics of having a birthing pool in the house, and I can't tell you how excited I am about that! I have never been able to get in the water in labor before!

At my last appointment, one of the midwives asked me to list what pregnancy books and birthing stories I've read, and it made me laugh because I think I've gobbled up every pregnancy book written over the last 10 years. I loved reading them all.

But oddly enough, I haven't picked up a single one this time around. And I don't even want to read birth stories because I can REMEMBER that feeling, you know what I mean? I've done it four times already, and while it gets easier once you've done it before, it's never, ever EASY.

I was thinking, please don't make me read any stories or watch any movies right now- I promise I don't need to. Birthing has forever been etched into my memory. And my body will start shaking involuntarily like I'm in transition just imagining it.... :P

All I can say is that it's such a good thing you get a baby at the end of your labor. Seeing and kissing them for the first time is the most exciting thing. Ever. 

8 hours of labor + snuggly sweet baby boy at the end = totally worth it. I think I'm actually looking forward to that day getting here. :)

Only 18 weeks to go!! wohoo! 

Can you instantly remember what it felt like to be in labor when you hear a story too? When was your biggest pregnancy growth spurt?

Ever used a birthing pool before? {Will we run out of hot water trying to fill it up? I have no idea!}

Have you ever had an ultrasound tech be wrong about the gender? How/when did you find out?

31 comments

Kelly Lee said...

Somewhere in the Bible it says that a mother forgets the pain of childbirth, but I remember vividly the pain of the one I chose to go natural for, and the pain and panic of the one I had to do natural without really being prepared! Feeling crampy right now, as a matter of fact - LOL!! Congrats on the pregnancy and best wishes!

Laura said...

We didn't intend a water birth, but my second wound up being one :) We just use the bath tub and shower combo to ease the discomfort. My advice would be to turn up your hot water heater so you don't have to skimp on the warmth before it runs out. Lasts longer if you turn it up :)

And oh my... I just gobble up a good labor story!

Linda Stanhope said...

Great post girlie, glad you are doing well, even being tired. Your picture is beautiful. :)
LInda

JoyBelle said...

LOL! I wonder what the literal translation is - perhaps they mean mothers will forget as in, not consider it when having more babies. Like she will put the memory of pain aside to conceive and bear more babies. I definitely remember the pain!

JoyBelle said...

I read a ton of birth stories, even when not pregnant. I DO get sympathy cramps when I read them, ha ha!

I am having a home birth in June. We will have a tub. You will put pots of water on the stove to keep hot to add to the water (obviously whoever pours it in will not pour it on YOU, but on whatever opposite end you're on and then stir the water around). I HOPE we have a water birth. My last birth was at a birth center and I got out of the tub right before my body took over and pushed our son into the world. But it was a good thing because the tub was a standard tub and NOT comfortable whatsoever. This time we'll have a nice, big round one with inflated bottom and sides.

Okay the last question - I HAVE had a tech be wrong!!! My last pregnancy we had our mid-pregnancy fetal survey and the guy was adamant, "It is a girl! You're going to have a house full of girls" (we had three daughters at home).

But I had a feeling the sonogram was wrong, as did others (except Daddy). First, baby's ankles were crossed so I didn't trust the sonogram but if you look at the photo it DOES look like girl. Second, I did a review for Intelligender so they sent me a free kit and it said BOY (they actually do have a good percentage of accuracy though it isn't foolproof or 100%). THIRD, I knew in my heart of hearts. So much so that I didn't paint the nursery and I told my husband I was saving toward a 3D sonogram. Fourth we had a friend who was given a word from God Almighty who said this baby was going to be our son very early on in the pregnancy.

The day of the 3D sonogram, a day or two shy of 30 weeks, I faltered in my conviction momentarily. I had butterflies dancing in my stomach. The sonogram tech waved her wand around and said, "Are you SURE they told you girl?" I felt dizzy and nauseous all at once - I STILL couldn't believe it! But there were definitely boy parts on the big screen TV. My mother-in-law jumped up off the couch, as they let family come to enjoy the occasion, and she started shrieking and dancing with her arms in the air (everyone outside the room could hear her!!!). It was the first baby boy in the family to carry on the family name. Honestly none of us had a preference but it was just DIFFERENT from having all girls so I don't want people to mistake that for not being happy about thinking he was a she. In fact I was kind of sad and had to grieve the idea of this daughter I had built up in my mind in case the first sonogram had been correct (we had a girl name).

Sure enough we had a boy. His name is Judah, he's 18-months-old and he's going to be a big brother this summer!

This time, pregnancy #5, we decided to NOT find out the gender. LOL!

Monique said...

Nope, no ultrasound techs gave me the wrong gender because I didn't' find out the gender of either child until birth. It was awesome! I didn't pick out names until after they were born, too.

The Mama Behind the Story said...

Haha! Wow! I was even nervous reading this!! What an exciting appointment.

Heather Pace said...

I don't even have to read childbirth stories to have flashbacks to labor with my two-year old. Lol. We didn't have a tub at that hospital but the hospital where we live now does and I'm definitely going to use it but I plan on getting out before the baby comes. I just feel weird about it. Lol. The tech was right about our son and we've been told by two techs (plus I have a feeling) that this one is a girl but my husband won't admit it. Lol.

Alexis @ A Moment with M.O.M. said...

You look great and what a memorable u/s appt that was! You look amazing and congratulations on blessing #5. ~Alexis on behalf of everyone at A Moment with M.O.M.

Kelli H. said...

We are all convinced that I am having a girl this time around, so we will be totally shocked if it is a boy (specially the big kids). 8 more weeks until our big ultrasound! I am actually looking forward to labor and delivery this time around, the first two times I had a hardcore epidural, so much so that I couldnt feel a thing...AT ALL. This last time I still had an epidural but only used it when I really needed it (I had a little button to control how much was in my system). It was the most amazing thing ever, I could feel all the pressure and when our daughter actually made her way out. I am going to try to go natural with just the local shots to ease the pain... hopefully. I have a very low tolerance for pain though!

Katie said...

Exciting times! What a little cutie he is already. :)

We used a birth pool at home with our little guy, and I loved it so much that we're planning to do it again. (This is even with not being able to complete the delivery in the pool.) Definitely consider it. :)

Emily said...

I did not birth in the pool but I labored in it and it was amazing! You will love it :) My support team was constantly heating water on the stove to keep it warm (I had 50 hours of labor, though - home birth after 2 cesareans). The birthing pool was wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I have a 13 year old, an almost 12 year old and a 3 year old. I'm glad to see someone else refers to them as the "big kids" too. ;)

Rebekah Harris said...

I am expecting my 5th also and I birthed my last 3 in the pool. It does not take the pain away, but it sure helps. It is definitely the way to go if want to go natural!

Janelle said...

For my third baby I went in around this time and had gained twelve! pounds! In one month! She gently suggested more water and exercise. I didn't gain much after that but wow that was scary.
This time (I am 22 weeks too) I am gaining nice and slow. This week I was super exhausted too. I had all these things I wanted to accomplish (on top of homeschooling four other babes and harnessing a four year old) but really had to set goals. I did get some stuff done but not in my normal way.
I am thinking about the pool just in case. My cousin said I could set it up on the patio and have my husband connect it to the hot water heater. It is all so weird to not know what hour you will be laboring in. But I don't think I want to be on the patio at night.
So funny to hear that birth stories make you react that way too. I have actually made myself read them this time (baby number six) because I thought I was being crazy. :)

wranglermama said...

I am pregnant with my fourth and I am right with you on the "I don't want to read a birth story, pregnancy book, etc I remember it all too well." I've had three natural births, one in the hospital and two were waterbirths at a freestanding birth center with a homebirth midwife. The water is awesome--with both I waited until I was feeling like I couldn't do it anymore before getting in, and it provided such relief. I think they were born less than an hour after getting in the tub.
My last labor was only 5 hours (I woke up in active labor) and I STILL have that "I don't feel like doing this again" feeling. Sigh. :) I'm only 8 weeks so I have some time to get used to the idea. I have to say I am so glad to hear another Biblical mama express the same things I am feeling--at least I'm not alone!

Mandy said...

oh, thanks for the advice!! And I'm hoping I can relive this one long enough to write a story about it! LOL! :D goodness, that stuff is tough! :D

Mandy said...

awww, thank you Linda!!! :D

Mandy said...

wow! what a story! I can't believe you had that many people who thought it was a boy! how cool! I love the name Judah too!

It's good to know about the stove thing- I didn't even think about that. We get to borrow our tub and just buy the liner so I feel very good about at least trying the water for labor. :D So excited to hear what you're having in June! It's not that far!!

Mandy said...

Oh wow! I am so indecisive, it usually takes me 9 months! heheee! I almost didn't fill out Ava's middle name in time. :)

Mandy said...

hehee- it definitely was! :D

Mandy said...

Yeah- I'm with you on delivering in the pool. Unless it happens quickly, I plan to get out too so the midwives can catch the baby. :D The midwives prefer us to at least get out right after the baby is here so that they can monitor blood loss, etc.

Mandy said...

Oh thank you Alexis!! :D It was a crazy appointment! :P

{ K } said...

My second was a surprise so we decided to keep that theme going and waited until delivery to find out the gender... ours too, 'hid' his stuff and the OBGYN called him a girl {I was secretly hoping for a girl so I was elated}, when he {my son} started peeing everywhere, it was noted the he was in fact a boy...
Problem is, I REALLY wanted a girl and had not realized how much until they 'took it back' AND because our 'surprise' came only 13 months after our first, I was likely still hormonal from the first baby, so that whole' don't mess with a pregnant gal' took on new meaning and became, 'don't look at her, just go in, check vitals, offer food.'!

Mandy said...

hahah! :D I know exactly what you mean! :D I always wondered if that passage meant in the instant the baby comes out... :) I only wish I could forget!! lol!

Mandy said...

Oh, how exciting! I can't wait to hear what you are having!! :D

Angel said...

I had c-sections for both of my children {medically necessary in order for us both to survive} and can tell you in vivid detail what almost my entire pregnancy, pre-term labor, labor, surgery, and delivery were like...what it was like after I had them, what we did while we were in the hospital for four days...what our first days were like, what it was like when my oldest threw up on me for nine days straight, being in and out of hospitals, almost losing him...taking him over an hour away to save his life...nearly dying after having my youngest son...there are things a mother never, ever forgets.

I knew my oldest was a boy long before they told me...I just knew. I had a dream that God told me to name him after my husband, but to call him AJ...and since I was four months pregnant, when I told the tech he was a boy, he has always been AJ.

With my youngest, I knew he was the only other baby I'd have, so I hoped and prayed like crazy and acted like he was a girl. A month and a half before he was born, on my husband's birthday, I was supposed to have an ultrasound and hopefully we'd be able to tell. My husband said HE had a dream and our baby was a boy and he would be named Noah Alexander instead of Nicholas Alexander. During my ultrasound I found out he was right and cried a bit, but am happy that we had two boys.

I gained the most weight around six months for both pregnancies.

You look SO amazing for 22 weeks!

Mia said...

Mandy, We were told quite emphatically, with my first born, that it was a girl during a 6th month ultrasound. I had assumed we would have boys, because of how we are, and I kind of panicked. I had a dream a few weeks later that it was a boy. I had a very difficult labor that first time around, and when our beautiful baby was born.....HE was ALL boy! So we had LOTS of girl things, and even a girl name, and a girl outfit to bring him home from the hospital andddddddddd.....he was not a girl haha. What a shock it was! For about...3 seconds. I never gave it another thought, but now it's a funny story we tell at family holidays. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't read many books, but I loved watching "The Business of Being Born" documentary. It's statistics, etc are all based in the States, but still alot of info was relevant to me living in Canada. We're doing a water/home birth this time around for my number 4 (I've always had quick, easy labours so a hospital birth seems like overkill!). I was also told to make sure the water tank is turned up high, and have a big pot to boil extra water in if necessary.
I can't beleive how tiny you look though! I gain the most right in the middle of my pregnancies, and get sympathetic comments like "You must be due any day" when I'm only 24 weeks! I don't gain anywhere else on my body, but I get this huge sticky outy belly!
Hope everything else continues to go well...we're also have a boy in (hopefully) 8 more weeks.....and since this is our 3rd boy, we are SO stuck for a name! :)

~Andrea in Canada

Laura Deery said...

I have a question for you! I'm a first-time mom expecting this September (16 weeks along). As a believer, I want to know, did you do a lot of preparation for a natural birth with your other babies? I've just started reading "Supernatural Childbirth" and it's making me wonder if I should really spend much time reading other books more geared towards teaching you how to have a natural childbirth and how to deal with pain throughout the experience. Or if I should just trust the Lord and know that he created my body to do this? It would be nice if I'd already had a childbirth experience, then I would feel less like I should read up and be doing some research/preparation :)

Cyndi in Iowa said...

Oh, Laura! Sweetie! bless your heart! Way to want to be doing it JUST how the Lord wants you to! (I always say, He really does reward our "Try!" :)

One verse that comes to mind (please someone help me remember the book/verse name/#) is that older (or in this case, more experienced) women are to teach the younger women how to be the best wives and mothers they can be… and I sincerely believe that means women sharing knowledge about pregnancy/childbirth/newborns/mothering…. No doubt Mary and Elizabeth learned SO MUCH from other women before Jesus and John were born. So if you learn how to deal with the rigors of childbirth in a class, from a book, from other women, or whatever, it is ALL GOOD. Why? Because the more "head knowledge" you have about this most transforming experience, the less likely you are to be scared or panicky or tense. You'll say to yourself, oh, yes, I know what's coming, I remember reading this/hearing this/watching this, yes, I got this! …. and tho your experience will be a little different than every other birth in history, it will have SO MUCH in common with every other birth in history, and will go all the smoother because you are that much more prepared, mentally. Now, ABSOLUTELY trust that the Lord created your body to do this, but know also that He absolutely created other women/doctors/midwives/nurses etc to HELP your body do this in the very best way it can! I haven't read that particular book, but please don't feel you aren't trusting the Lord if you research childbirth - natural or otherwise.
Blessings on you!