Monday, April 08, 2013

living room progress- spring update {before and after}

Isn't it so weird how good weather makes you want to shake everything out and sweep underneath the couch? {or wait, maybe it's just pregnancy that does that for me... no weather can make you want to clean, right? ;) }.

Either way, for some strange reason, I was feeling motivated to do some spring cleaning and found myself rearranging the living room Friday afternoon. :)

Even though we finished the living room more than 1.5 years ago, like every room in our house, it's always changing. :) I find something at GW to add in, or move or sell a piece of furniture we don't love or use. I'm a chronic furniture re-arranger.  I've been consistently rearranging my rooms since 1987- my mom can vouch for that one! I think it should totally count as a special gift/talent of some kind. :)

So here's what we started with in the fall/winter of 2011- this was my favorite room redo in the house! Everything but the rug, the 118 inch Ikea curtains, and one lamp was purchased used, thrifted, or repurposed from our old house. :)


The next year, I found this huge rug on clearance at Target, as well as a gray slipcover from Ikea {after the great white slipcover/pink sharpie incident of 2012}, added a couple of new cheap pillow covers, moved some old art I had around, and it totally changed up the room! So for a while, our living room looked like this:


It looks so different to me, but it was really just three major swaps here: pillows, slipcovers, and the rug. We also moved our original gray rug back to the nursery room for the baby, so it's still being used for the moment. :) I usually try to keep close to the same amount of money invested in the room by buying and selling our old stuff as we don't use it, and replacing it with used or cheap things that are the same amount.

This year, I decided to sell the red rug and found a different one at Pottery Barn for the same price as the Target one! :) Then I changed the gray slipcovers out again for the old white ones {bleach did the trick!}. I'm not finished {well, in my head, anyway}, but here's what it looks like now! :) 


Again with the same swaps...slipcover, rug, pillow covers. :) Super easy to swap them out, but they always make a big change! 

I think I want to exchange the placement of the door {it's our old kitchen door!} with the scroll art and maybe paint the scroll art deep blue or coral... and I have some new homemade art to put between the curtains that I haven't quite finished yet. 

I have a few more ideas too- I'm thinking about painting a few things, but I'm really happy with a few little changes! 

I ordered some awesome pillows that go with everything but they were such a good price, I might resell them instead of keeping them. Or maybe I can pay for one by selling the other one... ;)

It's been fun to swap out new things with the old this year for a small cost! It was so exciting to see how a little bit of work changes everything up! :)

I joked Friday that after spring cleaning at my house, one side of the living room looks amazing... then you turn around and see this behind you:


Apparently, I'm a spring cleaning piler. It all eventually got picked up too- so for the moment, my living room is kind of clean! And we'll see if we have any great sharpie incidents with the slipcovers back on again. Let's hope not! ;)

Are you a cleaning-piler or do you put everything away as you pull it out? I'm curious! :D

Should I move the door? What do you think about the symmetry there?

Why can I ever only find one child flip-flop at a time? And speaking of symmetry, why can't they make kid footwear left/right universal like gloves? {it could be the next best invention, I tell you}.

26 comments:

thechattymommy said...

Yeah- I make piles and then they sit there for awhile!

Adrienne Reina said...

Lol...your so cute and funny! Is it possible to be both? I am a cleaning-piler first, but then I have to put it away right after.I like the door it's the same height as the other flourish art on your wall. However, what if you tried hanging it sideways and putting something in the middle of it? Or make it into shelving unit and shelves to it? I love the way your room turned out. So inviting and warm, so in love with the rug, i love chevron. And love the color of the walls. This weekend my hero surprised me with a weekend getaway at a really nice resort and the had the walls that same color. It was so relaxing and calming, I think I want to paint my whole house this color. I feel you sister on the flip flop issue, I am having the same issue with mine. I think there is a flip flop robber in the house. LOL...I think you should invent those.

Blessings,
Adrienne

Adrienne Reina said...

invent those universal shoes for kids {forget to put that}.

Heather said...

I have that same ikea couch are you selling the grey slip cover?

MariLynn said...

Wow, it doesn't even look like the same room. I am a cleaner piler for sure!!
Love the flip flop in the one photo! :)

Ulrika said...

I'd say pile!!! :) I find if I start picking up stuff to de-clutter a room it's best to just keep going until the room is done and you have a pile of stuff to put away. If I start running from room to room with stuff I will only get distracted and find something in another room that needs to go in yet another room etc. and so I end up running around from one thing to another not getting anywhere. :D

Anonymous said...

totally a piler! love your rooms - inspiring - better to do some little reasonable/possible things than to bemoan that I can't redo it all and do nothing (a piler, all-or-nothing... do we see a pattern??) I think I envision your door as a display board for some kid art or pictures or something... kudos!

Kelli H. said...

Love it! I am so ready for a change in our living room. I painted it chocolate brown in an attempt to recreate a Jonathan Adler look, but the pieces never pulled together and the dark color has become a bit depressing. I have some extra blue/grey paint left from my office so I may just start with what I have got. I also have an Ikea slip cover couch that I am thinking about dying with some RIT and putting it in there, not sure what color I want to do though! I need to clear the "sitting room" items out of the dining room so I can set up our homeschool room before the baby gets here... can we say garage sale??

Mandy said...

me too!! :D

Mandy said...

aww thanks, girlie!! :) I like your idea of hanging it sideways! I'd have to figure out a new wall I think- there's a door right on the other side of the picture. :( I might try it on the other wall if I can figure out how to hang a heavy door... :) I might see ifsome shelves would mount there- great idea!! thanks!

What an awesome hubs!! I'm so glad you got a weekend away!! YAY!!!

Mandy said...

Love the Ektorp! My hubs is quite fond of it and I think he'd keel over if I sold it- but if I do I'll keep you posted! :D

Mandy said...

I'm thinking cleaning-piling is an official cleaning method!! what do you think? :D

Mandy said...

I'm so the SAME way! I must have a version of cleaning ADD... I can't even remember what I was supposed to be doing in the first place. :D

Mandy said...

Oh, great idea!! <3 that you are a piler too! heehe!

Mandy said...

Oh, do let me know how dying your slipcovers goes! I would love to hear! I'm with you on the getting stuff done deadline!! :D

kelly said...

pretty!! I am thinking about getting that rug...had been looking at similar, but too pricey. that's a great deal!! question: do you have a rug pad under, or just the rug? does it stay down well or fold up easily when kids play/run/fight there? :) sorry to be nosy, just there are no reviews on it!! thanks!

Mandy said...

I want to add a rug pad because it's not soft if you crawl on it, {just a cotton rug}- so far it stays down very well without one, but we have one side under a couch too. I totally understand, and it's a risk too because it's a final sale, but I love mine and would buy it again! :D

JoyBelle said...

I do make piles. I will clean one room and make a pile in another. Then move that pile to another. Then split the pile into three piles and pile them in three separate places... they finally get put away or I get so sick of it I toss them in a thrift bag or the recycle bin (depending on what it is).

I like the door where it is. I think if it was moved it'd get hidden behind that chair. ;-)

mwimp said...

a piler - except i have a laundry basket that goes with me in each room if it's all corraled it doesnt look near as bad AND it allows it to sit for a couple days without bugging me, lol!! omgosh i want that orange rug! how long ago did you get it? maybe i can find it on clearance. let me know if you still have it and how much you want for it. i have family in that area and she'd pick it up for me. i'm being serious!!
on the door i like the idea of hanging it horizonally, and if u make it low enough you could add twine and mini clothes pins and the kids could use it as an 'art gallery'.

Christie said...

Really love all three shots of the living room! Thanks for sharing; inspired to keep working at mine. = )

Marian said...

I love your third picture the best. The first one the walls were a little bit boring, and the second one was almost too bright for me, but the third one was just right! I like the door, and the colors, every thing seems very well balanced.

Lydia said...

Just a question. How did you secure the door? I've been thinking about putting an old one we have in the corner of our dining room but I'm not sure how to keep it in place. We have little kids and I KNOW it would get bumped and I can just see it whacking them on the head or worse!

Love all your creative ideas. I'm not blessed with much creativity when it comes to decorating so I love to see what others do.

Abigail said...

I noticed you have a couch from Ikea. We're in the market for new couches. We have four kids, so we want something that will hold up but not cost a fortune. What do you think of the Ikea couch?

Abigail said...

I noticed you have one of the couches from Ikea. We're in the market for new couches. We don't want to spend a fortune, but would like something that will hold up for our family of 6. What has your opinion been about the Ikea couch?

Mandy said...

We really, really love them! It's a bit smaller than a traditional sofa but the slip covers are what make it a great couch for a big family- we can wash them. It's not really squishy but we find that everyone sits on it more than the leather one. I hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I am def a cleaner-piler and have noticed that when my girls clean their room they do the same thing. hee hee! Like mother like daughter....is that how the saying goes? it looks and sounds weird as I write it. lol
LOVE the room! The color is so soothing and the room looks so inviting and cozy. I like the door where you have it...however, if you want to do something different with it, turn it into a headboard on your bed. I love that look. Just google how to hang it so it is sturdy and safe. :) God Bless, Colleen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...