sweet memories with my favorite shoes + finding them at GW

I might have mentioned it before, but Rob and I LOVE hiking. Both of the vacations we've gone on without kids were adventure trips. {I guess we aren't very good relaxers, even on vacation!} :) 

Our last vacation was a little over two years ago now- we had a chance to go to Hawaii with our friends {and they totally hooked us up with a sweet deal on a place to stay!}. It was the best trip ever. :) 

Not only did we get to hang with them, we also got to see some of the most beautiful places in the entire world, I kid you not. God made the most wonderful earth, and I was so glad to get a chance to see a little part of it that screams of His majesty. :D

Oh, it was amazing...just breathtaking.


Pictures just don't do it justice. :)

Okay, my mind is wandering now... come back to Texas and thrifting, Mandy.... :) Anyway, we hiked every day to the inner parts of the island so that we could see waterfalls and ocean views. We invested in some hiking sandals right before the trip and wore them all week long- Keens for me and Tevas for Rob. Here were my trusty Keens on their first voyage {this is one of my favorite memories...sniff, sniff}:


Unfortunately, we went cheap on Rob's sandals. We found them on clearance, and the poor man, he not only blistered his feet to pieces, but his sandals broke too, in less than one week of use! He was probably happy to finally put his feet up when we kayaked one day...  {I tried to find a picture of his sandals, but I guess I never took one of his feet? LOL}:


Here's the river we were in...oh, man! 


So now you know why my Keens hold such a special place in my heart... I'm so thankful for those sweet memories. :) 

My sandals, though they were fairly expensive, ended up being one of the best investments we made. I still came back with a few rubs/blisters from breaking them in in the mud, but poor Rob's $40 broken shoes made him miserable for most of the hikes {add in the sickest ocean sunburn, and he was still such a good sport about it all}. Next time, we decided, buying the better brand would be more than worth it.

And then, one year after our trip at a Goodwill in Dallas, I spotted a pair of like new men's Keen's in his size for-get this- $4.99! I snatched them up like a crazy woman {as if anyone in Texas really wants hiking shoes...thus the reason they were at GW} and hid them in my buggy and did a happy dance all the way out of the store. ;) 

So next time we take a trip {if that ever happens again!}, we'll be prepared- and we'll have saved $90! ;) {it totally counts toward the vaca fund, right?}

And then again, a couple of weeks ago when we were in Dallas, I went to the very same GW and found all of these kid's Keens for $3.99 a pair!


They are $30 for the littlest ones {baby boy won't wear them for a while, but I couldn't resist!}, and $50 for the bigger kid ones online. Waterproof, kid-proof, indestructible shoes they don't have to tie? That's a win. :)

While there probably won't be any Hawaii in their future {unless the Lord has some awesome plans for us? I'll go, please?}, they'll work just as well for our everyday hot Texas summer. :) 

And in the meantime, I'll be wearing mine to do yard work in while dreaming of those lovely tropical waterfalls. :) hehee.


Do you have a story behind your favorite shoes? Or is that weird {and just me}?

Have you seen a place so beautiful that made you want to cry with worship and praise to God?
Definitely Hawaii. I haven't been to lots of places in my life, but so far those islands take the cake. :)

Best deal on shoes you've ever scored? Or do used shoes creep you out? {I used to be there with you, don't worry}

39 comments

Emily said...

I so want to go to Hawaii someday - I can only imagine the artistry of God displayed there! For me, the Badlands in in South Dakota (doing morning devotions there at sunrise - incredible!) and Niagara Falls are two places where I have been amazed at God's masterpiece!

Shannon said...

1-- Not a story behind my fav shoes, but rather about the importance of taking the right shoes on vacation. My honeymoon was one of these times that I thought I had the right shoes for the trip because it was our honeymoon in Cancun and we would be dressing up for dinner out and even when we were sightseeing I would be wearing special outfits. Always, take a pair of comfy shoes that will take a hard rugged trek because you never know where you will end up going... cheap or expensive have shoes that are durable and comfortable.
2-- I wish I could remember the name of the place, but it was in middle Colorado and we had hiked up a little mountain area to the gorgeous waterfall that formed a pool. I began to sing it was so incredible. I am always amazed at God's creation!
3-- I buy all my shoes "resale", but notice I stated "resale"... sometimes I can tell they have been worn once, but most of the time I can score shoes for $1 that have never even been worn. The most I ever pay is $5. We live in such a shopping obsessed culture that people are always buying things they never even use and then, they have to get rid of it all. Then, those of us that are thrifters come along and it is a hallelujah kind of day because God gives us the desires of our heart just like he did for you with all those Keen's!

Anonymous said...

I've seen some sunsets that blow me away and make me praise Him. I imagine they'd be all the better in Hawaii. Color me green with envy, lol ;)

My favorite thrifted shoe was I got some Minnentonka moccasins for $1.19 at my local thrift store back in September. They looked like they had not been worn at all, and I had just been looking at the same pair online for $50 but couldn't part with that much money for them. I was thrilled. Used shoes do kinda skeeve me out a little but I wore socks with them the first few times and that made me feel better, lol!

Crystal

Jess and Jason said...

Any time we travel "up north" (we live in Michigan, and that's a weird Michigan phrase to mean anywhere north of where you live, haha!), we are in awe of God's beauty, particularly when we travel to Petoskey or Mackinaw Island.

MariLynn said...

I have always wanted a pair of KEENs because Keen was my maiden name. What a great bargains. I'm so happy that you were blessed with these shoes.

Susan said...

My hubby and I like to go hiking too! Our anniversary present to each other last fall was to finally get the right shoes to enjoy our hikes together. I got a nice pair of Merrells and he got a pair of Keens. We only got to go on one hike with them in the fall, so we are itching to get out there in them! :)

Kristen said...

We love Keens, but something about them makes the feet of some people in my family smell TERRIBLY! We can't go to someone's house because then we have to take them off, and then it's just awful. So now I'm hesitant to buy/wear them unless they are staying on until bath time at home. :) Maybe it's just my family!

Kelly said...

We love our Keens too! And all of ours were "used" :)
My husband is very good at finding great deals on shoes at GW! His favorite pair of shoes were under $20 & like-new at Goodwill, they retail for over $200! I did recently find my oldest boy a pair of Romeos (popular shoes among the men on my husbands side of the family) They sell online for upwards of $50 online and I happily paid $8! I love thrifting!

Melissa Ringstaff said...

Sounds like my kind of vacation... and shoes! My favorite getaway is camping or backpacking with my kids! Loved this! :)

Becky said...

My favorite pair of new-to-me shoes are 4" high red wedges by Nine West. They have a kind of vintage flair, and had been worn once by the lady I bought them from at a upscale garage sale. I think they were $5, and I get tons of complements every time I wear them.

Vanessa said...

Ah, that looks like Kaua'i- beautiful!

I'm a Maui girl and thus a bit biased but all the islands are simply spectacular =)

Anonymous said...

This does looks like my home! I live on Kauai and your post made me smile. One of the most beautiful places on Earth. I love those quiet moments that I am in the midst of such beauty and realize my creator made this just for me, that I could enjoy. What an awesome God we serve!

Simply Alexandra said...

We have only been on one trip where we hiked much, but it was wonderful. I also had shoes that didn't fit well! :S

I LOVE golden sandals. I'm not sure why. But anytime I see some that fit and aren't expensive, I buy them. My first pair I got when my grandma took me birthday shopping on my 18th birthday. It's almost been 5 years and I still wear them! Every time I wear them (with a dress, or shorts, or jeans or anything really) she says "Thank God for those shoes!" I am already starting to dread the day when they fall apart. They are a little beat up but I'm hoping they continue to last. Since then I have purchased 2 more pairs.

Alexandra www.simplyalexandramyfavoritethings.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Keen's make my feet stink too,I have two pairs and I just throw them in the washer more often.

Anonymous said...

Love my Keens!!! I have three pairs. I buy them off season!!!

Cynthia S. said...

I know you had fun! We visited Maui a few years ago and it was absolutely wonderful. We plan to go, again, as soon as the last kiddo leaves the stable. Smiles. Just hubby and I--no kids! I am definitely going to try those sandals and i'm not waiting for our trip. I'm looking this spring. Thank you, for sharing and many blessings to you and yours! I enjoyed visiting Hawaii through your eyes. ~Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Oh, love a good deal like that!! Wish we had a nice GW near us. A question about those Keen sandals, are they true to your shoe size? Ex: if you where a 7 shoe, do you wear a 6.5 in those? Very curious. Thanks for sharing, Mandy! I hope to find good deals like you do.

Andrea

Ginger said...

A fun pair of yellow sandals! They are the type of thing that I could never justify for $20 but could love at $3!

Mandy said...

oh, that sounds beautiful!! I've never been to either of those!! wow! :)

Mandy said...

Isn't that the truth! Comfy shoes are a must! :D I've been to Colorado Springs and Denver, and it's so gorgeous! I love that place! :D It so fun finding those deals, isn't it? I love saving that much money!! :DD It's such a blessing!

Mandy said...

I love that we can find Keen's used! I've never seen a woman's pair yet, but I wish I could have before we went! :) What a steal for shoes your guys love!!

Mandy said...

:) I think the sunsets here are slightly prettier, but we were only there for a few days at a time. :) I've seen some gorgeous Texas ones over the years! :) I am so happy you found shoes you were already looking for!! wow!! :D I love the sock thing too!

Mandy said...

ooooh, camping is fun!! How do you stay comfy when you sleep? That was my biggest problem when we went~ I couldn't sleep a wink in total darkness with no noise! LOL!

Mandy said...

awww those sound adorable!! I think I would love them too!!! :) great job!!

Mandy said...

It was!! Good eye!!! :D I've never been to Maui!! I bet it's gorgeous too! Are there good views like Kauai?

Mandy said...

Oh my goodness... I want to come visit you! LOL! Or live with you... ;) It is AMAZING! you are super blessed to see that loveliness! :) He is so good!!

Mandy said...

Oh, those are my favorite too! :) What kind lasted 5 years? that's awesome!!! :) sweet grandma!

Mandy said...

woot!! They are sooo comfy aren't they?

Mandy said...

Oh, I can't wait to hear when you go! I think the islands are so amazing!! Let me know if you find a good deal on the shoes! :D

Mandy said...

I think so- I went for my actual size, but it depends on how wide/narrow your foot is I would imagine. mine is pretty wide, and the regular size were fine. I tried on the bigger ones but was a little afraid they would slip and rub? I hope you find some!! :D

Mandy said...

Yellow sandals are so FUN! :D I would love to find a pair for $3! good job!! :D

Mandy said...

Oh, that sounds lovely!! I bet the weather is amazing there too in the summer!! How lovely to live so close! :)

Mandy said...

Oh how cool!! Thank you MarilLynn! I love your first name too! :)

Mandy said...

oh yay!! what a fun present!! And the memories you make with them are even better!! Hope you get to go soon!

Jamee @ A New Kind of Normal said...

I absolutely love my Keens! They are so comfortable and hold up so well! I got Abby a pair for this summer! Zulilly will often run them for killer deals so that may be a place to keep an eye out for them!

Joya Towne said...

What a wonderful vacation!

Most of the time I'd rather be barefoot or in flip flops. I have flat feet. I love shoes but most of the time, they're not on my feet very long:0)

I have to say that living where we do with woods all around and seeing wildlife daily is pretty much the best. I want to go to Scotland someday and I'm looking forward to the beauty there, but for now, I'm in the midst of God's creations and I love the contentment it brings.

Christina Marie Hollensbe said...

I can't beleive I've never heard of Keens! Will have to find a pair in my area! Anyone have any thoughts on Bare Traps sandals? I will be going to Moravian Falls soon and needed a comfortable pair of walking sandals. I found a brown pair at GW for $3.00 so I thought "why not"? Thoughts? Are they for grandmas only? Lol!

Christina Marie Hollensbe said...

Ps-I beleive the brown pair I purchased is from the "Remember" line. ;-)

dashofpink said...

Oh my goodness, love thrifted shoes! I'm not really adventurous at all, but I got a pair of black patent leather high heels at a thrift store when I was 13, for my Grade 8 graduation! They were genuine leather, made in France, and only cost $10! To this day, 10 years later, I still wear them, and they're one of my comfiest pairs of dressy shoes!

Love the blog, by the way! I've recently started reading it, and made my way all through from the beginning :) It's so amazing to see a family that loves God this much, and truly does all things for His glory!