May 10, 2013

28 week update: the pre-baby to-do list {and the unrealistic nesting one too}

I'm 28 weeks, which means I'm officially into my third trimester these days! In some ways, the 10-12 weeks I have left sound like a loooonggg time to keep growing bigger, but I've lived enough days to know that the end will be here very, very soon! :) I have a feeling it will fly by.

Even the fifth time around, pregnancy is still one of the strangest things to me. I'm visibly with child now, so I get such a wide range of comments in real life these days! :) 

Just this week alone, one cashier at a restaurant told me it seemed like I'd been pregnant forever already and should be done by now, then another cashier at a different place told me she couldn't tell I was pregnant at all until I rubbed my belly, and not two days later someone else asked me if I was due any day now.... you just really never know what someone is going to tell you when it comes to your pregnant belly. ;) It's wide open, and everyone has something different to say! You just have to brace for the impact... heheh! ;)

Here's my 28 week iPhone shot... it's definitely looks like I'm smuggling a small watermelon in there- especially first thing in the morning. My belly looks and feels like a very round bowling ball:


He's getting stronger too- bigger kicks and rolls happen much more frequently these days. All of the kids have gotten to feel him kick now. {that is one of the best moments of being a mama, I think. They all get so wide-eyed and squeal with excitement. :D} It won't be long, and they'll all be playing with him and asking to hold him all the time. :D

The closer I get to the end though, the more I realize I have a ton to do before the baby comes.

I have to turn this fabric into a pretty quilt:


After that, reorganize my sewing room to make it into a nursery:


side note: I can't believe we took that picture {on the wall} on our honeymoon over 10.5 years ago now!

What kids we were back then. ;) We were just 19 and 22:


And now I'm 30 and a mommy to 3 boys and 2 girls!! It's a good thing, though. Marriage gets even better with time. :)

So does being a mommy, I think. Isabella {5} made my morning with her sweet note:


Little girls are so much fun!! :D

But back to the baby to-do list- here's what I hope to finish before mid-July:

  • make quilt/bedding
  • make 1 wall decor piece for over the bed
  • paint crib and dresser
  • wash baby clothes
  • buy diapers, wipes, and nursing supplies
  • wash car seat + bouncer covers
  • hang curtains
  • order or find a pack n' play travel lite on Craigslist

And here's the insane nesting to-do list for the next 10 weeks that's secretly hiding out in the back of my mind {you have one too don't you??} :)

  • redo entire yard
  • build a new fence
  • mulch and plant flower beds
  • host birthday party for Avalie
  • finish painting house
  • redo/finish girls room -needs 2nd coat of paint, and a bed makeover is waiting to happen in the attic
  • redo boys room- paint/reorganize
  • finish the stairs
  • add light fixture to bathroom
  • find a new-to-us washing machine to replace our 10 year-old one
  • finish 180,000 little things that need to be done around the house

Oh goodness. Just looking at that list, I know that it won't all get done. But supposedly, if you make a list of all you have to do, you can mentally let it go and focus on one thing at a time? {Getting Things Done} I think a man wrote that book.... ;)

At least I know what I have to focus on today:


We are launching a new release of BODYCOMBAT on Monday, so I'm knee deep in chorey for the rest of the morning! The to-do lists will have to wait a bit longer. ;)


How do you mentally separate your future to-do lists from what you have to do today? Is there really a way?? ;) 
My brain {as they say women's are} is definitely like spaghetti- it's all tied up together in there. So far, pray and let it go is all I've got! :)

Any great easy quilting tutorials you know of?? 
I'm thinking two big pieces of fabric sewn together and bound in zig-zags- does that sound okay to you quilters out there? I need help! :P

Anyone married in 2002 like us? Did 10 years fly by for you too?
I'm glad we were married young. I loved spending all of my 20's with Rob. It's fun growing up together in adulthood! :D

25 comments:

  1. You look beautiful! :) We also were married young, I was 19 and my husband 22. We will be celebrating our 20th in less than a year and yes, it absolutely gets even better as the years go on. We wouldn't change a thing and feel so blessed to have been able to share so much together. Best of luck on your newest blessing and accomplishing your to do list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also married young (both age 20!)...We just celebrated our 8th Anniversary this past week and I wrote a post about the things that I have learned since being a newlywed - you are right, marriage certainly does get sweeter with time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the post if you want to check it out! http://www.teachable-mom-ents.com/2013/05/3-tips-for-newlywed-wife.html

      Delete
  3. I love your blog and you look beautiful! My husband and I were also married in 2002 and were both 18. We will celebrate 11 years of marriage this September:) We have six beautiful children and I think it all gets better with time. It flies by that's for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were married young, 21 and 22 and we are preparing, 9 years later, to welcome baby #4 in October. Between now and then we are moving from our home in Oslo, Norway to a new adventure in Paris, France. I have list on top of list going right now. I have a notebook to keep them all organized. I try to make specific lists and label them so I can keep everything sorted. Good luck with finishing your list and preparing for #5.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great! I'm only 3 weeks ahead of you. Sure seems like it's flying by! My oldest is only 3 but he loves feeling the baby kick and is so excited! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great picture of you and your husband =)

    We were married "young" by today's standard (both 25) but I wish we got married sooner! We've been together since we were 15 (ah, puppy love) and it's been about 13 years now, married for almost 3. It sure does fly by fast!

    Her Heart Proclaims eMinistry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was married at 17 yrs & 3 mo of age and my husband was 19.5 yrs. Even though we were so young we knew we had found The One! I truly believe it was all God's plan and do not regret it- how could I when I am with the one I love most? We have 8 children, ages 1- 14, and I am not quite 33 yet! Theoretically, I could be a Grandma before I'm 40!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm 26 weeks and my nesting to-do list looks similar. So glad I'm not the only crazy one! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We didn't marry in 2002, but we did marry when I was 19! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We married in December of 2001, so very close to you guys! I had just turned 20 and my husband was 19. We spent all of our twenties together :-) We are now 30 and 31 and looking forward to spending all the rest together as well. OH and I am truly VERY VERY new to quilting as well, but I have found the MOST helpful thing are these videos on YouTube called "Quitly". She is so good at explaining quilting from the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We were married young as well 18 and 22. This November will be 20 years and yes the years do fly by ;) Our to do list
    Hangs on the fridge but I don't know if it is helpful to see it all the time or if it just gives you anxiety LOL It does grow
    more quickly than do the things getting crossed off...dang list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We got married in 2005 (but started dating & got engaged in 2002 & yes it flew by!) I was 19 and he was 23

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy reading your blog and hearing about your sweet family. When my husband and I got married, I was 17 and he was 20. We will celebrate our 35th anniversary in September. We have 3 wonderful children and a precious grandson who will soon be a big brother :) God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love you blog and the love you have for your family. I have a question, do you ever deal with criticism when it comes to having your 5th child? Like do people make derogatory comments about population, family size or general negative comments towards large families. If so, how do you deal with such criticism with grace and reverence? I am 21 and my husband and I are planning on trying to get pregnant within the year and I want a large family (6) but as of now we are agreed at 4. Both are considered to be large families it seems and I want to be prepared for the criticism I do not doubt we will receive from a society which no longer views children as a blessing from the Lord.

    justinandchelseygere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to add that I also had a similar questions aimed towards homeschooling. I have had relatives and friends say unkind things about my desire to homeschool our children, even from my husband. Like our children will become unsocialized weirdos with no friends outside our family.

      Delete
    2. The biggest myth about homeschooled children is that they're weird and/or anti-social. People want to argue with you that your children are in a bubble and not "in the world" but a homeschooled child has a LOT more time to get out and explore, to learn new skills and play sports. A public-schooled child is predominantly within four walls all day and has to be quiet to focus on the teacher and do their work. Count up the time spent playing in public-school versus homeschool and you'll find a homeschooled child has much more time to play, interact and engage with others. And WHO SAID they can only learn and interact with peers their own age?! My kids interact with people of all ages, including ME (a person!).

      My husband was homeschooled and whenever someone makes the ignorant comment that homeschooled children are unsocialized he laughs and says, "Yes, I'm so anti-social that I just go around punching people in the face because I never learned how to be around people!" It's seriously the most silly thing I've ever heard.

      I know way more anti-social publicly schooled people than homeschooled people. Every single, solitary homeschooled person I know is so well-rounded, well-mannered and highly intelligent. They had more time to devote to their passions and learn in-depth compared to the rest of us spoon-fed textbook junk in public school.

      Our first teachers are our parents. Our last teachers are our parents. Even a child that goes to school is still learning in the home. They learn behavior and manners, they learn respect (or disrespect), etc. It is what you make it. Get your child involved in sports or dance, go out and explore, teach them how to be polite, etc.

      One of the most important reasons for homeschooling was building up my children's self-esteems. There are no bullies. There is no peer pressure. There's no pressure to perform to someone else's standards or nitpick every little thing they do. They're free to be imaginative, to wear mismatched socks without teasing, free to play and grow without fear that someone's older sibling is going to come and push them around the playground.

      I do NOT believe that children need to be bullied in order to "learn". I think it tears children down (just look at the suicide rates!). By homeschooling my kids have years of being encouraged to BE THEMSELVES so that when a kid does come along and tries to bully them or tease them my kids are confident in who they are because it's been so ingrained in them that they are fearfully and wonderfully made! It's insane to think that kids will learn how to socialize by being left in a room with the same emotionally immature peers who also do not know how to interact appropriately without adult guidance. Kids learn how to socialize IN THE HOME, through their parents, no matter what school they attend!

      I wish you much luck on your journey! Forget the naysayers. You can ignore it or choose to share what you've learned yourself, maybe a mix of both. It's hard when you do not have support so I'd start with hubby and get him on board because his opinion, out of everyone else, is the only one whose opinion matters on this.

      Delete
    3. Sophie from FranceMay 11, 2013 at 4:46 AM

      Just smile! (i'm mother of 6!!)

      Delete
    4. Joybelle! That was a glorious reply. I was public schooled and I suffered a lot of ostracizing and bullying during my junior year of high school from a group of girls concerning an abusive boyfriend I had. I fell into a deep depression and had to leave school for community college my senior year to avoid the panic attacks I would get in high school. I was an Honor/Advanced Placement student who saw how low of a level the average student was expected to perform at. It was all about tests and getting kids to make at least a C to move on to the next grade. No individual attention and no love of learning was sculpted in any of my peers. I do not want that for my children. However, my husband enjoyed school. My prayer is that once we have children, the Lord will change his heart towards schooling our children at home from the person who loves them best (ME!). I think that right now he is viewing school as the fun he had as a teenager, but once we have children he will have a parents heart and see the protective and progressive side of teaching them ourselves. I thank you deeply for the encouragement. Once we have our first child I will try and make him research with me so we can come to the conclusion to homeschool together.

      Delete
  15. We got married in 2004 so not quite to 10-years yet but it definitely doesn't seem like it's possible that much time has passed!!!

    I just wrote a post about nesting but it isn't nearly as cohesive as your post. I have a mental To Do List that is absolutely INSANE. I wish I had the time (and money) to get things done. Right now we're focusing on one large project (renovating first floor bathroom that we have never used in the 7 years we've lived in our house because it was such a pit - easier on me to not have to stop everything and take a toddler upstairs to potty! Or to haul my postpartum self up the stairs for potty breaks either!).

    If I had my way we'd have all the gutters and siding completely replaced and exterior painted. I'd have my kitchen completely renovated (it's the ugliest kitchen in America, I'm NOT kidding! We don't even have flooring in there, just subfloor!), our TV room carpeted and new furniture... so much I'd love to do! Some of it so frivolous which makes me feel guilty. But then I think to the Prov 31 wife and how she made her home a haven (totally paraphrasing here) and I don't feel so bad. I want to be a good steward. I once heard from a preacher, can't remember who exactly, that a woman's home is a reflection of her heart! Chaotic homes typically mean a chaotic heart. I just thought that was an awesome quote and definitely applies to myself and to all the women in my life that I know.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sophie from FranceMay 11, 2013 at 4:45 AM

    We got married in 2001, I was 24 and he was...36! And you're rigth, marriage gets better with time!(And men too: like French wine, they improve with age!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm jealous of you! I'm almost 21 weeks and no one has noticed the pregnancy. When people are told about ut they say...but you're so small...orig don't think you even look pregnant! Makes me sad!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My husband and I are both 26, we married in 2006, 7 years for us at the end of June!
    Baby #4 is on the way and our oldest turns 5 next week :)
    We are both so glad that we married young!!
    -Hannah H

    P.s. I have a major nesting to do list too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love reading your blog. My husband and I were 20 and 23 when we got married and have now been married almost 5 years. I can hardly believe it! Time flies when you are having fun! ;) I am so glad that we got married younger, because it seems we had easier adjustments than those married 5-10 years older. We were not so "set" in our ways, you could say. Plus, who wouldn't want to spend as many years as possible with their love? ;) Blessings to you as you prepare for the birth of your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It WILL be 10 years this December and it seems so monumental and yet like nothing compared to my parents who have been married for 48 years. Anyways, it does seem like it has flown by!

    ReplyDelete

Oh, thank you so much for leaving a comment! I read every single one, and try to respond if I can! Thank you for being a part of the {bh} community!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...