May 29, 2013

homemaking hack #6: how to take an inventory of your closet {or pack for a trip}


Here's my new favorite way to pack for a trip….or reorganize my closet. {or both? hey!}

1. Find the biggest open space you can.
The floor between our closet storage worked for me. A bed or dining table might work too. :)

2. Pull out all of your clothes and shoes.
Every single item if you're purging your closet. If you're going on a trip, just your most-loved items. :) 


my vacation outfits this year! :D
3. Match your favorite outfits.
This is the fun part! What goes with what? Balance your looser tops with more fitted bottoms or more fitted tops with looser bottoms. I'm a one pattern girl most of the time, so I like one fun or bright item paired with a basic neutral staple item like jeans. I have no idea why I'm like that, but it seems to happen every time! :)

Have fun without even trying them on- when they're all lying out, you can start to picture what looks good together!

Untitled

4. Edit and delete items.
Do you already know you hate wearing that shirt- it's too loose, too tight, rides up, etc.? You probably won't like wearing it when that outfit day comes either. :) Delete it. 

5. Copy and paste multiple outfits.
Set matching tops next to your potential bottoms. That sounds weird {ha!}, but the idea is to layer multiple tops you like over one pair of pants you would wear them with.

6. Take pictures so you can remember what you have.
This is the fun part- take pictures, preferably with your phone, so that you can search your closet inventory easily in the morning or when you're out shopping for coordinating items. Having your clothes already matched makes such a difference in the time it takes to decide what to wear! :)


Untitled

How often do you go through your closet? What are your favorite tips for keeping track of what you have to wear? 

Usually twice a year at least for me- when the seasons change, I purge the excess. Having a tiny closet helps with that! :)

How many clothes do you normally carry with you on a trip? 
I overpacked this time for sure! I wanted to have lots of options, and I did...hahah!

Do you find yourself wearing the same pair of jeans with all your outfits? 
Totally. If I love a pair of jeans, I will wear them until they get holes in them! :D

11 comments:

  1. At the beginning of a season, I turn all my hangers around and hook them onto the closet bar backwards. After I wear/wash something, I hang it back up normally. At the end of the season, whatever items are still backwards are items I clearly didn't wear and I get rid of them. I can't stand having things I don't use. I am a purger by nature and this helps me stay organized :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you- it feels good to keep what I have limited!! :D I need to try your trick this fall! I have a feeling I'd be surprised at the outcome! :D thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. I love doing this before a trip! I started doing it for my husband too when he goes on business trips. Without the pictures I text him, I don't know what he would end up wearing to some of his meetings! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's awesome!! what a great wife you are to do that!! I know my husband would love that! :D

      Delete
  3. I just love your clothes! Where did you get the yellow bag? It is perfect for summer. Your blog is one of my favorites - thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I actually passed that outfit on to a friend, but I got the bag at Target on clearance for just a few dollars. :D It was one of my favorites, and I bought a couple to give as gifts too!

      Delete
  4. Do you wear maternity clothes? I wish I could have fit in regular clothes while pregnant! Love your blog! God bless you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you!! I don't usually wear them. I have a couple of maternity items, but I haven't worn them at all. I'm saving them for the next few weeks, in case I can't fit in anything! :) Here's a post I did on how to find non-maternity wear {{if that works for you of course} :D http://biblicalhomemaking.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-find-non-maternity-pregnancy.html

      Delete
  5. Could you suggest the best undergarment/bra to wear under spaghetti strap tops? My teen daughter really likes that style but I've never worn it myself so not sure what's best for modesty/support. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually opt for one of these- I love them because they are as covering as an undershirt, and still provide support and padding too! :D I love having the option of using the straps also.

      http://www.target.com/p/beyond-bare-by-barely-there-women-s-2-pack-bandini-bras-assorted-colors/-/A-14507069#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

      Delete
  6. This might be a strange question, but how many clothes do you have? I just love everything here! Are most of them from Goodwill?

    ReplyDelete

Oh, thank you so much for leaving a comment! I read every single one, and try to respond if I can! Thank you for being a part of the {bh} community!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...