Wednesday, May 08, 2013

strawberry cream cheese angel food cake {recipe}


If I had to choose between eating just the icing or the cake, I would choose icing every day of the week. Icing and I go way back. I learned how to make homemade icing when I was 11 or 12 and after that it was over. There was a reason we never had any powdered sugar left in the house. {sorry, mom} ;)

With this pregnancy I've consistently craved strawberry shortcake for some strange reason. After four pregnancies, I've learned not to question why I have any particular craving and just go with it. :)

The only problem with this craving was that the whipped cream part of the strawberry shortcake wasn't cutting it- I needed real icing. {and by the way, whipped icing on store-bought birthday cakes {!!?!!??} makes me want to cry. Why would they do that to icing?}

So I decided to make my angel food cake like a simple trifle and replaced the whipped cream with cream cheese icing. :D It ended up being perfection. :)

Here's what I did:

I bought an angel food cake at Sam's Club {that was hard, wasn't it?}. They have the best angel food I've had in a long time. I've made it homemade before and didn't like the texture as much as theirs for $5:


I cut it into slices for portioned servings, but I've also torn it into chunks. I prefer the small bite/chunk version because it has a greater ratio of cake to icing, but if you like less icing, this way might be for you. If you have a trifle dish, you could layer the chunks into the bowl and it would be even lovelier, but a 9x13 is perfect for easy serving and keeps it simple to make.


Make your cream cheese icing. I don't follow an actual recipe these days, but here's a highly rated one if you don't have one already. I like mine extra fattening, so I generally use 8 ounces of cream cheese, 1.5 sticks of real butter, and about 4 cups of powdered sugar mixed with a splash of milk and vanilla for my go-to recipe. It should be thick like you see here- if it's runny, add more sugar:

{p.s. using margarine and off-brand or low-fat cream cheese greatly affects the taste and thickness of your icing. If you can, go for real butter and Philadelphia full-fat cream cheese. It's worth it.}

Spread it over your cake slices:


Slice your 1-1.5 lbs. of strawberries straight on to your cake, if you want:


You could spend a few hours making it look pretty by arranging your slices, but I know my family doesn't care what it looks like as long as it tastes good. ;)


Refrigerate your cake for a few hours if you can for better flavor, but it will taste good freshly made too. :) Enjoy it either way. :D {and hope there's enough for seconds!}


It's my new favorite cake {for now, anyway}. :) And the fact that the angel food cake and strawberries are non-fat makes me incredibly happy. I think the light cake and fruit really balances the rich cream cheese icing. That and lighter cake means I can enjoy indulging in the cream cheese icing even more. Ha! :)

Are you more of an icing or a cake person? Or do you eat both equally well? :)
As you might have guessed, I view the cake as merely a vehicle for icing.

Whipped or buttercream icing? And please tell me why you like the whipped version. Maybe there's something I'm missing there? ;)

Do you serve untraditional desserts for birthdays too? 
Last year Noah and Rob both asked for cinnamon rolls! :) Here is Noah on his 7th birthday:



22 comments:

Sophie from France said...

In France, we just discover Philadelphia ... and we just love it! but we also like whipped cream ... so if I had to choose, mmm ... no, I like both, really! For example, whipped cream on the chestnut cream is just too good! I think i prefer buttercream icing on cake and whipped cream on another kind of dessert (chestnut cream or chocolate cream, whith bananas and chocolate...)
Now i'm hungry!!!

Anonymous said...

I was just pondering what to make for some Mother's Day get-togethers this weekend. Thanks for the easy idea, it looks delicious! I like buttercream fosting too and I sometimes serve untraditional birthday desserts, like chocolate mousse!!

~Hollie said...

Printable Recipe? looks delicious!

Lesley said...

That looks so great. Thanks for posting. It looks like a wonderful summer dish...especially since strawberry season is so soon! :)

I am DEFINITELY an icing girl. I don't understand the whipped kind, either...I never buy store cakes or cupcakes because 99% of the time it is whipped. Bleh. :-P

Verna said...

I love the whipped frosting! So light and fluffy and not too sweet. Yum! My favorite is pudding and whip cream mixed together. So good! Cream cheese frosting is a very close second though.

Thrift Chicky 28 said...

Butter cream all the way!!! My hubby likes the whipped better, he says he likes it lighter and not too sweet. Your cake looks fabulous I may need to make it this weekend :)

Pam Anderson said...

Every year my husband asks for Pumpkin Pie on his birthday...in July!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh that cake looks so delicious! We love strawberries and Angle Food cake so this would get eaten quickly!!

Bonnie said...

Kathleen's Kitchen in Sherman serves a variation of this. They call it Strawberry Club. They use pound cake instead of angel food and serve it as a stack. Yummy.

Mandy said...

mmm- I bet you guys have AMAZING desserts! just the ones you listed sound amazing!

Mandy said...

oh, let me know how it goes! :D Chocolate mousse is one of my faves- especially with the mini chips in it...yum! :)

Mandy said...

thanks! If I get a chance I'll post that! good idea!

Mandy said...

I have accidentally bought whipped before and nearly cried. It's so unfulfilling! ;)

Mandy said...

ok, so not too sweet- I gotcha! Cream cheese is my very favorite I think! :)

Mandy said...

Oh, I hope it goes well! feel free to make it to your liking- more strawberries, different cake- have fun with it! :D yay!

Mandy said...

hehee! I understand that kind of craving! who could hold out for a couple times a year when you love it? :D

Mandy said...

mmmm we do too! Feel free to make it how you like it- play around with the recipe and make it your own! :D

Mandy said...

mmmmm- I <3 pound cake too!! that's a great idea for single servings too!

Vanessa said...

I love real buttercream frosting!

This strawberry shortcake looks so delicious. We usually have cake for birthdays. I don't make them very often so they are a real treat =)

Her Heart Proclaims eMinistry

Anonymous said...

My husband always wants pumpkin pie, but he's a November baby. I usually request a cheesecake, but then we're BFFs :)

Cream cheese frosting is my favorite! I love it on homemade choc cupcakes.

As a side note, my husband brought home leftover food from a company lunch yesterday and the sheet cake from a local grocery store had an expiration date 3 mo from now!! Yikes! Talk about artificial everything!

Hannah H

Jessica Murray said...

This looks so yummy and prefect for summer. I'm definitely a butter cream kind of girl! Stopping by from the 4x8 Homestead http://the4x8homestead.Blogspot.org

Emily Everling said...

I'm making this tomorrow but I'm going to make it with a box angel food cake mix, my store didn't have a premade one. MMMM, can't wait! Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...