Monday, June 24, 2013

in sickness and in health {and lime popsicles}

Our weekend went much differently than I expected it to, thanks to a great stomach thing that {luckily} only happened to me. If I can remember, I've never had anything like that happen this far along in my pregnancy. And I think I would remember if I did, because stomach problems + massive 34 wk. baby doing karate inside you constantly = extreme pain.

I was down and out for most of the weekend, so much of the big stuff on my goal list didn't get done. We do have a brand new fence in the backyard thanks to my amazing husband who seriously worked all weekend long to tear out the old one and replace it. He's such a stud. {of course, I decided that a long time ago, and again after he proposed for the second time last year...lol!}

But I have to brag on him again, you guys. He worked ALL day long building the fence Saturday, then came in at 9:15 and made dinner for the kids, put them to bed, then went to the store because I wanted some 7-up and lemon popsicles {and applesauce and tootsie roll pops too- I had an "I'm sick free for all" shopping card, LOL}. Little did I know I sent him on a wild goose chase...

He came home an hour later with every citrus popsicle he could find:


He went to multiple stores all over town at 11 p.m. {dog-tired}, trying to find me lemon fruit bars, which apparently do not exist.

And at this point, he gets husband of the year award {okay, it was probably somewhere back at making dinner}.

I, however, do not earn any awards. My sweet husband brings me every citrus popsicle he can find in town, and lays them all out on the coffee table for me to choose from my curled-up fetal position on the sofa, and what do I tell him?

I don't like lime.


I'm such a winner.

I ask for the applesauce instead, and he stays up with me watching Netflix until I feel better at 3 a.m. for the second night in a row.

The man is gold, I tell you. A pure blessing from the heavens. 

I had this thought the other day that amazed me- I realized that God loves me even more than Rob does. And it made me cry like a baby. Because really and truly, I can't imagine a love even better than my husband's. I have never met a man who loves his wife more.

I have never met a man who lays down his life for his wife like he does. And I screw up {all.the.time}, and he still keeps loving me and giving up his own life to serve me.

He loves me like Christ loves the church.

And I don't deserve it. At all

It's so humbling, and I can't say enough how amazed I am at what the Lord has done in my life. I'm so very grateful for this man and how he lives out the Gospel on a daily basis- not giving up on me, but loving me far more than I ever could imagine or deserve.

He cherishes me, so very well.

25Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.a 28In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, 30because we are members of his body. 
Ephesians 5:35-30

He loves me like that, you guys. And it's incredible. Only the Lord could give me such a wonderful gift like him. 

Yesterday I tried one of the fruit popsicles he brought me, and I can't believe it, but...

I think lime is my new favorite.

20 comments:

Sarah H. said...

Thank you so much for this post. It was a great reminder of God's love for us and I definitely needed to hear it. I've spent several years with serious health problems and sometimes I've wondered where God is. Thank you for keeping it real and showing us that you're not any more perfect than we are. {Hope you feel better fast!}

Verna said...

My husband scrubbed the shower for me this weekend, while I took a much needed nap. We're all recovering from nasty colds too. I am so thankful for such a great husband, I don't know what I'd do without him! Most of my before baby list is done and we just need to get rid of these colds for good! Hope you are feeling better today, I can't imagine how miserable that must have been!

Briana Runde said...

I am a new follower, and I am so excited to have come across your blog! I haven't had time to look it over too much, but from what I have seen, it is going to be a new FAV.!

What a sweet, sweet hubby you have!

Hope you are feeling a ton better and can't wait to read more of your blog! :)

Angela ~ Call Her Blessed said...

He def gets a gold star. Super sweet! Hope are you feeling better now.

Anonymous said...

that's great. Lime is good :) I know the love you speak of, my husband loves me the same and sadly I think I resent it most the time, b/c I feel incapable of reciprocating. It's an unconditional love and I am all conditional when it comes to whom I love, so it seems. forgive me father, though I feel inside I'll continue to be this way. :(
your post yesterday about the call to experience Jesus yourself, really struck me. God does use you in great ways. you are a few years younger than myself but your faith is much more mature than mine it seems. I accepted the Lord back in 2001, but my relationship with the Lord is quite lacking b/c I don't nourish it, I run from it. Love is complicated.

Kim LaRue said...

Aww,so glad you're starting to feel better. The fruit bars are really good, even the lime. They give out free samples every year at bolder boulder or I probably wouldn't have tried it either. Luigi's is pretty yummy too.

Joya Towne said...

How sweet:0) Glad you're feeling better, I know that was miserable!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post!! Think I'll share it so we can all appreciate so many aspects of where you were coming from!! Blessings!!!

Natausha Manis said...

Oh my goodness that man is golden. (and so is mine!) My husband is the same way. This post reminded me that today I need to send him a special thank you for being ever so awesome. It is so hard to fathom that our Heavenly Father loves us more than we can imagine. When my husband mirrors Christ Like love to me, its overwhelming to think that God loves me even more. And like you said, I never deserve it. Thanks for reminding me the blessing of not only a Godly man, but a God who loves me more than any man can.

Kate said...

Blessed. :-) What a good man. It is so good to be loved so much by a good man (I can totally relate).

Elizabeth Williams said...

This post made me giggle. My hubby is the same way. I honestly don't know why God saw fit to give me such a wonderful man. Glad to see there are more like him out there. Glad to see you appreciate just how wonderful he is. I know how hard it is to take these guys for granted. What a wonderful reminder of how much God the Father loves us -- even more than these great men of God. I'm also glad you now like lime. LOL!

Mandy said...

Oh, I'm so sorry- so many times I've thought about what it must be like to have a serious lasting sickness- I can't even imagine how hard it must be! I am feeling better- thank you, and thank you so much for sharing your kind words!! I am praying for you tonight!!

Mandy said...

I am feeling better since this afternoon- thank you Verna!! I'm so glad you got some rest this weekend too!! I hope you're feeling better!

Mandy said...

oh thank you, I am! and I'm so excited to meet you! thank you for stopping to say hi!! :D

Mandy said...

I am, thank you! And I agree- a gold star is in order! :D

Felicias Red Door Life said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. It's nice to see others so in love and them realizing how much more God loves them. That knowledge, that God loves me that much, floors me on a daily basis.

Here's hoping all the lime popsicles don't go to waste

Mandy said...

oh I'm so glad you wrote- I know that we all go through those times, and the only way I can even reciprocate the love shown to me to my husband is through the work of the Holy Spirit- nothing in me responds the way it should *any* of the time without Him doing it- any love comes from the Father alone. I so will be praying for you tonight- I know our God can do great things- even when we fail Him and our husbands! much love to you!

Faith said...

Thank you.
Its an ugly thing to accept when I realize just how unloving I can be. It's embarrassing and shameful.
These past few days though I've noticed that my cold hard heart is cracking a bit and humbly accepting and trusting the truths God is revealing to me. He still is at work in me, though I find myself closed off and hiding from Him, when just weeks ago I was worshiping Him with arms wide-opened and tears running down my face. I'm not sure how I get here(it's been happening a lot over the past year), but I'm beginning to see it's just my heart. It's a heart condition. I want to feel His love and share His love but I guess it gets too overwhelming and I close Him out and begin to agree with the lies of satan. And my faith falters greatly and I begin to doubt our Creator's mere existence, and surprisingly name is Faith. lol It's all so strange.

Mandy said...

thank you girlie!!

Mandy said...

Me too! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...