what to do when you feel the heavy lies of Satan :: taking our thoughts into captivity


I never really thought about the importance of that verse before a few weeks ago. I think I understood it, yet somehow in my mind, it had to do with having impure thoughts, or hateful words towards another person.

But lately it's taken on a whole new meaning for me.

I won't lie- pregnancy is not easy. I have wonderful pregnancies physically- I can't complain a bit, but I do feel that pregnancy changes your hormones and it's truly a trial for a woman.

It's been a battle from the beginning, and the struggle comes not only physically, but mentally.

Any time you're tired or exhausted, or battling hormones, or trials, or even just hard situations, I think the devil really loves to mess with you a little {or a lot} more. Our defenses are down a bit, so to speak, and we become easier targets, especially if we don't stay focused on the Lord.

And what's funny {or not so funny} is that we don't even realize what Satan is doing- he's sneaky, and he is trying to devour us like prey. He doesn't make himself obvious.

For me, Satan attacks my heart and mind through negative self-talk. When I'm tired, or sick, or feeling down, he loves to sneak up on me and plant thoughts in my head that completely contradict God's Word.

The other day I was feeling low- physically, I knew I was tired from a harder week, but I kept dwelling on these negative thoughts which made me feel worse mentally.

I cried out to God and told Him I was feeling low, and He answered in a way I didn't expect. {how does that keep happening???? He does it every time!}

That afternoon we went to the pool, and I felt the irresistible urge to bring my notebook along with me.

I was praying in my chair for a while, then I took out my pen and notebook and I just started writing. I wasn't even sure what I intended to write, but I started to make a list- a description of every single thing I was feeling right then. I was embarrassed and almost fought the urge to put it all out there on paper, honestly, because I knew so much of it wasn't okay or right, or even slightly true.

Here are a few of the feelings I wrote on my list:

Sad
Alone
Defeated
Impatient

Then after I added every single feeling that came to mind, I wrote this beside my list:

Sad
Alone
Defeated                        {what Satan wants for me to feel}
Impatient


Then I started making another list:

joyful
patient
thankful                          {what God wants for me}
happy
bearer of light

After I wrote this all out, I prayed and told God all of what was in my heart and on my list. I told Him, "Lord these are my burdens- these are what the enemy is telling me- please take them from me, and rebuke the devil, Lord God. Please keep him away from me. He tells me these lies, and I know this is not what you want for me Lord. I give you all these feelings- please take them from me."

I'd never done anything like this before- though I'd prayed and asked God for His help when I was feeling low many times, I'd never openly identified every single thing I was feeling {that was ugly and sinful} and consciously given it to the Lord.

I was shocked how it changed my heart- I just felt lighter, and the next day I realized what the Lord had done for me- He had taken my burdens and my negative thoughts and redeemed them, and brought to light the truth in my heart of what He wanted for me.

It hit me- the Lord was teaching me to take these sinful thoughts into captivity like He tells me to do in His Word:

We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, 2 Corinthians 10:5

I normally would push them down and pray a little, and try to tell myself the truth to negate them, but they never would fully go away, you know what I mean? I think I was trying to talk myself out of them with my own power more than God's.

I was feeling down, believing lies {about myself} from the enemy when they stood in direct contradiction to the Word of God, and I didn't realize to what extent the battle was even happening. I thought I was just feeling a little low!

When I brought every thought into the light- on paper- of God's Word and gave every one of these thoughts and feelings to Him in prayer- He took them from me, and made me realize that not only were they not right or true, they were coming from the enemy himself! Oh, that serpent is so subtle and crafty!

I just can't praise God enough- He is so very merciful to me. I am so thankful that He cares so much about me that I can tell Him anything and everything- and He makes my burdens light. He makes my heart and mind comprehend the truth instead of what Satan wants me to believe.

The Lord kept working through the rest of the next week too, bringing situations into my life that specifically showed me the lies were even further from the truth than I thought. I tell you, our GOD is living and so very GOOD and full of grace and mercy! :)

He wants us to live in the light of His Word- to walk in His truth, and defeat the power of sin through His Son, and He can do it, my friends. He WILL do it if you ask!!

If you're feeling defeated or low, or something is on your heart, I made the worksheet below for you if you want to use it. I was so amazed at what God did in my heart when I laid my burdens before Him in all of their ugliness. What I told Him came as no surprise to Him, and you won't surprise Him either.

Give light to your burdens- let His light shine on every part of your heart. Don't be afraid- God will fill those darknesses with His light:

For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 4:6

And when you feel the heavy lies of Satan start to weigh on your heart, remember this:

Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4

Our God has already overcome the evil one, my friend. Satan cannot defeat you.

Greater is He who is in you, than he who tells you lies.


 28Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30




How have you seen God redeem your negative thoughts? 

Do you ever find yourself writing them down? 


38 comments

Amanda Reyer said...

I read this and began to weep. Every day I feel like a prisoner to my own emotions because of depression. I never thought that this was an attack from Satan and that I could pray for God to take these feelings away. I just figured it was a product of my'disease' as my doctor calls it. It has brought me great joy to read this today and as soon as I get to work I am printing the worksheet out and carrying it with me everywhere. Thank you for sharing! God Bless!

angela said...

This is actually a therapy exercise: Writing down what Satan/your depression/hormones etc. are telling you about yourself, and why you believe it, and then writing the TRUTH. There are therapy worksheets to do this until it becomes an automatic exercise. Sometimes God reveals truth to us in such a powerful way, as he did to you. It has become a process for me, but I still have to very actively think about it. I have never incorporated direct scripture references into this process and I think that is a great idea!

Chrissy + Nate said...

Thank you so much for this. I feel like I too have been having an internal struggle with Satan telling me lies, but in the sense that I am not good enough, or that I am not genuine enough in my relationship with God. Like you, I feel like I have prayed a little for God to intervene, but really I have been trying to do it own my own by remembering God's truths in my heart (which isn't bad: that's awesome too!) instead of giving it over 100% to God and letting Him handle it on my behalf. Thank you for this reminder that our God is a living God who continues to do battle for us who are in Him and for the reminder that we are not alone in our struggles, but that fellow Christian brothers and sisters struggle but fully rely on God's mercy and grace!

Chrissy
www.everydaywiththejays.blogspot.com

Renee said...

I LOVED this post! It's brought a lot to my attention and to the surface of my thoughts. I think as women too, we are overly-crytical of ourselves when in fact we should rejoice and praise our accomplishments, features, and character. Good for you! I think that this post is so refreshing and helpful to relieve burdens and trials like this. Rock on sister! You're amazing (and thank you for sharing)!

Most call me Elizabeth, one calls me Honey, three call me Momma... said...

I appreciate this post so much. I am definitely in a season of loneliness and lately find myself daily doing the different things you have tried. You and your blog are amazing! Seriously how do you do it all? I have 3 kids ages 5, 3, 1 and even when I wake up early something happens with one kid that keeps from exercise or Jesus time...thank you for sharing. Blessings to you blog friend!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your struggles. So
Betimes in the hecticness of daily life and trials and struggles along the way, we forget that we aren't alone. Reading your blog one would think your life is perfect, but when we read that you struggle just like us it makes you human. My family has faced many struggles and trials the past two years. Two miscarriages last year, financial struggles that have worsened, etc, last week I went to the hospital for dehydration and found out I have type 1 diabetes. I spent two nights in the icy, one day I was well and normal the next I have a serious disease that will require lifelong care. Our plans for more children are basically over, I just keep praying that God takes away my desire for more babies. I am really struggling with jealousy and anger, dreams of new baby smell and butterfly kisses are crushed.

Amie said...

Thank you for sharing this, I personally have been trying to quit smoking for 2 months,(never quit quitting) I am a wife and a mother of two. I have been a christian my whole life, and Satan tells me everyday if your God could help you he would but he is not. And it's not that God is not helping me I know he is try to teach me to trust him and use his strength not mine. I am going to use that work sheet. I think it is a wonderful resource. Along with that, I have insecurities that not only affect my self, but also my marriage, and my career.

Briana Runde said...

I love this! Thank you for sharing! I can't wait to use this tool. :-) I am so inspired by your blog.

Angieleigh said...

Mandy, I have no idea how you do it, but these posts chain themselves to my heart and make me realize that I am not going through these things alone!

I have a small prayer journal that I keep beside my laptop so that when I need to pray and can't think of the proper words in my mind, I write them in my book. Today I filled a page and a half with the Bible quotes from this entry and will go back to them every time my anxiety and worries get to me.

Nothing makes me feel better than when my heart concentrates on God instead of listening to the negativities in my mind.

You are a blessing to each and every one of us who know you. I am beyond grateful that God brought you into my life.

Anonymous said...

While I don't know if there are other health concerns beyond your recent diagnosis of type 1 diabetes, I just want you to know that babies are still possible for a diabetic. I am a type 1 diabetic and I have three healthy children. I don't want to cause you pain if there are other health issues, but I want to give you hope that a diabetic diagnosis is not the end of life - neither yours, nor future children. I'm praying that you'll be feeling healthy soon and that God will grant you the desires of your heart.

Kelli H. said...

I so needed this today! I have been away from my blog feed for the last few months because life has just been that busy (overwhelming). I have been battling with the pregnancy blues, not being the kind of mommy or wife I should be, and want to be. The more i think about it, the more down I get. It is time for me to hand these burdens over to Jesus. He has already paid the price for my sins and is waiting to carry this burden for me, I just have to learn to give it to him. Thank you for writing this, and thank God in heaven for placing your blog on my mind today so I would read this.

Elizabeth Taylor said...

My name is Elizabeth too...and I have 3 kids ages 5, 3(in 3 weeks) and 1....and I am in a season of loneliness!
:)

Mandy said...

oh I'm praying for you Amanda!! He will take those burdens, sweet girl, and it's still a constant battle, but lean on Him and talk to Him all day long, every time you have those feelings- He is so good, and can bear it!! much love to you!!

Mandy said...

I definitely think it is a continual process, like you said! the battle is ongoing but He is so good! :) thank you for sharing- I had no idea it was an exercise, that's so cool!!

Mandy said...

I know what you mean- it's such a strong struggle, and ongoing too, and I think it must happen with so many of us women- the enemy really knows how to get in our heads- I am praying for you tonight as you face the battle along with me! :) much love!!

Mandy said...

Oh thank you for sharing your thoughts too, Renee!! I agree with you- we should rejoice because we are made new in His image! :D LOVE it!! :DD

Elizabeth Taylor said...

Wow. Thank you for this. I have been in a terrible rut this week, feeling desperate and depressed and not understanding why I was acting this way. I was not being a good wife or mother, and I felt helpless to change it. I read this and took a good look at my thought life this week, and boy was it out of control. I just did this exercise and felt some relief, and then I hear...well you will probably mess up tomorrow...
uh uh. I am so on to what is going happening now. The devil is so slick, but we can keep him under our feet where he belongs. Thank God we can go to Him in prayer!!

Mandy said...

:) I promise I don't do it all!! Life is so much different when your little ones are 1,3, and 5! It gets easier, and less chaotic in a way! I remember feeling like that even more when I was alone all day with my little ones who needed constant attention. You are doing great! Sometimes even now though, I have to just escape to the bedroom to get a few minutes alone with Jesus- to tell Him please help me, I'm dying here, Lord! The gyms I go to since mine were small had childcare included, so some days exercise was my only break from the constant needs! It gave me endorphins too, which made me a happier mama! :)

Praying for you both tonight- I remember very well life 4 years ago- and it will change before you know it too! :) much love to you girls!!

Mandy said...

oh no, I'm so sorry! I can't imagine how that must feel- what a huge change to go through! I am praying for you as well, sweet friend! You are definitely not alone in your trials- I know it must be hard to walk in the fire right now, but God will not forsake you, I promise!

Mandy said...

Oh, friend, you aren't alone, I promise! We are all humans who struggle- and many of us in the same ways! Don't listen to the lies of the enemy- I love hearing your faith despite his attacks! So exciting!! Seek Jesus with all your heart- don't give in to believe what Satan tells you- keep asking Jesus to do his work, he won't forsake you! :) I am so thankful for you sharing your heart! I'm praying for you tonight!!! much love to you!!

Mandy said...

oh what a wonderful idea to keep it in your journal- so many times I forget what He has already done, and that would be so helpful to remind me of it! :) Thank you so much for your encouragement- I can't tell you how much that blesses my heart!! Truly!!! Thank you. :D

Mandy said...

oh praise God!! HE is so GOOD! :D I am so thrilled for you- those burdens are awful, and I know how hard it is to carry them! Praying for joy and a lighter heart for you!! You are precious to Him!!

Mandy said...

Oh AMEN! :D For me the battle is ongoing- like he did to you- Satan keeps picking anew- but God is so there for us! :D Praise His holy name!!! He won't leave us- and He wants us totally to depend on Him in the battle! :) Praying for you, friend!!! :)

Monika said...

Oh thank you for this post!!! Yesterday I had similar feelings, I was tired and my daughter was so active and my patience was going away..... Then I felt like bad person, who doesn´t give my family what they need, what they expect...yes, pregnancy hormones works :-) and now I know, that Satan works through this too!!!

Thank you so much, now I know how to fight with this feelings! How to fight with Satan.

catroy said...

Our church just did a study on how our thoughts determine our direction - hebrew word study "Nephesh." You might enjoy the blog article here: http://www.nbcmosaic.org/mind-gate/. Basically we learned that as one thinks, so shall he go! If we concentrate on the negative, the negative will harm us either physically, mentally or emotionally. But God's living word is designed to edify, lift us up! So, I just love your very practical advice on what to do at those times. It's how we react to those attacks whether internal, external or enemy-provoked! Writing them down and countering them with God's promises from His word is definitely the best remedy and then MEDITATE on them because they are life-giving.

Christie said...

I am in a position where I am frequently 'called upon' to counsel other women. Sometimes this is hard when I, myself, feel 'dry' and 'attacked'. This is the case recently, and I was even approached by a friend/woman that I am mentoring about this very thing. We spent much time in prayer asking that the truth of Jesus overcome the lies of Satan, and then the very next day, you wrote this article. I started weeping, and immediately sent it to her. Praying that we all have a season of healing and rejuvenation!

Anonymous said...

I just had to share that our church is going through the sermon on the mount. Today we studied in matthew 6:25-35 about worry. We went through each verse and were reminded 8 different times not to be anxious. Our King cares! The sum of it all is not to lay our treasures on earth- when we do we worry and focused on the wrong thing. Instead we should seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness! We cannot be so occupied by our worries because then God is pushed out. Our days WILL be filled with trouble and we can't live a worry free life but God cares. So we were taught exactly what you blogged about...reclaiming tje promises of God our worries tell us lies ( "no one understands what I'm going through, " " nothing will change," "just give up now." But those are lies! God says to trust in Him, do not worry. He will take care of us, He knows.

Thanks for helping me to stay focused on Christ Mandy. At times when I feel down or attacked I'll look to your blog for encouragement. Yiu are amazing and God is using you. I see his light and the holy spirit shine through your words. Thanks again!
- christine

Kimberly Sailor said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. I have been really struggling lately and your words brought joyful years to my eyes. Thank you for the reminder that God is stronger than the enemies lies and that He wants peace and joy for us. What a blessing you have shared. :)

Karlee said...

This brought tears to my eyes. I felt so many feelings as I read this. Being a single mom of 2 girls that are 3 & 4 is so tough. I feel like a huge target for Satan because I do it all myself. Balancing the nurturing mom and the discipline just can run me into feeling not strong enough to handle being the single mom. Makes me feel so many negative things when it all becomes to much. There is no break during the week just fill time. I'm very thankful for the every other weekend breaks but other than that it can be so over whelming. Parenting in general is tough but so rewarding all in one. Some days I just have to pray out because I'm losing all patients & feeling low in hard moments. I love this post made me think so much of opening up more in my prayer because he can handle all of it. Thank you so very much for writing this. Was a tough night getting girls to bed always is a battle and this just touched my soul. Thank you so much for your loving words!

Anonymous said...

My pastor was just talking about this someone had told him they were being attacked this way, he told them to do the exact same thing and once they started the attacks stopped coming.

Jayna Snider said...

Thank you for this. It's amazing and speaks straight to my heart - just this week I picked up "Who Switched Off My Brain" by Dr. Caroline Leaf - it addresses this very subject - and I'm glad to read it yet again. The power of our thoughts is... powerful! I didn't even realize the effect that my attitude/thought life was having on me. Let the light shine on this truth! But thanks be to God, He has given us the power and the choice - to banish the toxic thinking and replace it with His word! PS I highly recommend anyone who is feeling low (emotionally/mentally/physically) to see what this book has to say.

Anonymous said...

This is just what I needed to read! I know my God loves and cares about what is going on with me. I'll keep trusting and leaning on Him to get me through the tough times because He is faithful! God bless you for your encouraging words.

Patricia said...

This is a great post, thank you for sharing! Gives me something to work on!

Anonymous said...

I quit smoking twice only because the power of God took it away. The 1st time it was right away when I had someone pray over me and I later backslid and picked up the habit again. Later on I desired to not smoke any more and I woild pray and pray and nothing.... until one night, the night my brother got saved:) He took it away again <3 Dont give up, Keep trusting <3 Praying for you <3

Rharness said...

Thank you so much for this post. I have been battling depression for three years. I have been feeling very defeated and alone. I used to not be like this. It wasnt until I had my 2nd child. I work full time and and attend school parr time. My dream is to be a speech language pathologist. I am so clpse to getting my degree and there always have been obstacles but have always prayed and God has removed the obstacles. I struggle with is this my dream or God's will. As I get closer to graduating, the struggle is getting much harder which is why I question if I am going against God. I do not have much support at home, my job duties have changed and are extremely stressful, I have to work as husband is disabled and I have to work fulltime so I may not be able to get licensed since I have to attend masters program full time. I AM READY TO GIVE UP but I can`t help but feel that God has gotten me through to this point and I just need to have faith and give it to God.

Danielle Morales said...

Hi im 17 and i just came across this blog, ok im a girl...this is what satan has been trying. To put. In my heart....he's making. Me think i like Girls and I don't. I've always like guys...i know. He put this lie so he can distroy me.... your. Blog reminds. Me that im not alone in this battle please pray. For me thanks:-)

Anonymous said...

I feel God guided me to your blog tonight. I am Bipolar and have struggled with this disease for 40 years. I am 66 and going through another terrible depression. I know this is a disease but I also feel Satan tries to defeat me even more than my disease does. He has been filling my head with lies and confusion, which causes me even more depression. I have written down your list and will read it and pray every day. I have to take medicine for my bipolar, but I feel I still neeed to pray for God's healing. He, and the aid of medicine I feel is His answer to me. Please, please pray for me that this depression will be over soon. I now have something to read and be in prayer to help me through this time and to conquer Satan's attacks on me. Please, please pray for me to be in good health once again.
God bless you and all the joy you are bringing to others who suffer.

MommyToBe said...

Thank you! I woke up having a bad dream all full of negative thoughts... And went on google looking for a poem and came across this.. Wow has this not only made my day but, opened my mind to the truth of what's really happening to me. How my pregnancy hormones and satan are the ones taking over and having me think all this negativity. I will def reach out to God in hopes that he'll bring me back to him and set me free from my own negative thoughts. Thank you!