Tuesday, July 09, 2013

my favorite IKEA finds this summer {2013}

Apparently nesting {for me} comes in the form of finally decorating my house and empty walls after three years. It's amazing how little I cared about decorating until I was very pregnant- then, it was like a switch turned on, and I had to finish everything. Ha! With that kind of motivation, I've been so happy to find some amazing home deals at IKEA in my style and price range this summer! :) 

Every time I go to IKEA, I'm more impressed with their selection of cute, cheap stuff. They have really gone more and more traditional, which is fun for a girl who decorates on a budget. :) 

Rob likes IKEA's modern style more, but I'm definitely more of Pottery Barn/ Restoration Hardware style girl with lots of splashes of color. :)  And it's even better when PB style meets Ross/TJ Maxx/Walmart prices at IKEA! :)

Here are a few of my very favorite finds from there this summer: 


I'm in love with this huge butterfly poster- it was 27x40 and only $12.99! 


It's so pretty! I'm planning to hang it in the living room on a big empty wall, but Emily from Jones Design Company used it in her laundry room and it looked great there too!

Almost all of my curtains have come from IKEA too, and I love them. Our ceilings are almost 11 feet tall, and all of our windows downstairs need 112 inch + curtains, which cost a fortune just to make! I have very, very slowly acquired curtains for each room, because I hate spending money on them.


But I'm so very glad IKEA sells these 118 inch curtains for $17.50 a panel. It's an incredible price- I do the happy dance {inside} when I can get pretty 9.5 foot curtains already sewed for me for less than $6 per yard! It's worth every penny, because I really, really hate sewing. I'm terrible at it. ;)

Another thing about our old house is that we have just three tiny closets in the whole place- so we've had to come up with creative ways to store food and random things like blankets, toilet paper, light bulbs and craft supplies. I love using IKEA baskets like these in the family closet/pantry to hold supplies and toilet paper:

 $12.99 at IKEA
When I saw this heavy weight floral fabric finally in stock {Solrun, $7.99/yd.}, I snagged a yard for a quick project, and the heavy orange/cream polka dot fabric is for the baby's room. It was only $3.99/yard! I'll show you a couple of super easy projects I did with them in the next few weeks! :)


I've fallen in love their $5 travel/makeup bags- they open very wide so you can easily reach in without digging around, and they're washable. I buy these to give as gifts because they are really nice to use and hold up very well:


And you wouldn't believe how excited I was to see they were carrying a new $19.99 area rug. I can't wait to put it in my office upstairs once it's finished. It's 4x6.5 or so, and it's so bold without being too crazy or modern. :)
'


This funky popsicle set was $1.99, and has already been put to good use a few times at our house. We freeze plain orange juice in them and the kids think they're getting a special treat. {I think OJ pops are kind of gross, but please don't tell them they aren't sweet enough! ;)}


I'm happy to say I'm almost finished with the pre-baby to-do list, thanks to good old IKEA! I got to knock out a few items in just a couple of trips! :) One of my goals this week is to hang that butterfly print on the wall. I have a feeling I'll have plenty of time to do it, thanks to the 12 hour challenge that starts again today! ;) 


Do you have an IKEA near you? 
Our is hours away, so it's always a special treat to go there! For me, anyway. For Rob, it's called special torture... ;)

Do you have to put hanging up pictures and other items on your to-do list too? 
If I don't, I'll never hang them. I think I must have a hanging phobia.

Anyone have a favorite healthy kid popsicle recipe to share? 
Mama needs something other than OJ hahaha!

29 comments:

Aria said...

that area rug is sooo cute, love it! you have great taste! ikea trips are a special treat for me too; we live in tucson and the nearest ikea is in phoenix so any time my hubby travels up there for business meetings on the weekends we usually try to add an ikea pilgrimage. although sometimes i have to remind my hubs that if i go to ikea i will want to spend money so we have to make sure we have the funds ;) i have a couple of diy projects in the works to add some art and design to our house, so maybe when you're done with your 12 hour challenge you can swing by my blog to check out how they turned out. i'll be working on them this week. happy nesting! (that was probably my favorite part of being pregnant- my house has never been cleaner haha)

Monika said...

I like IKEA too. And for this summer I got discount voucher for 200 crowns (around 10 dollars) from them...so we definitely must go there :-D
And what I prefer there? I love their little decoration ideas, various boxes and candles!!! And every furniture in our daughter´s room is from there :-D

Greatings from Prague,
Monika

Ashley B. said...

Use any kind of fruit juice for popsicles! Cranberry-raspberry would be pretty good, and lemonade popsicles could hit the spot on a really hot day. You could also freeze some yogurt with berries, although it might not hold up on the popsicle stick.

faith said...

I see people constantly talking about their cute ikea finds but we dont have one near me :(

jeana said...

The closest ikea to me is in Dallas which is 5-6 hrs away! I love the rug and seem to always pick up curtains there too. We live in an old house like you and have 38 windows! We make lemonade Popsicles (which you may love!) and ones out of our smoothies and v8 splash.

Anonymous said...

I live in Oklahoma , there's not even an Ikea in my state :( someday I'll get to go to one !

I'm 28 weeks pregnant with #4 , I'm majorly nesting !! :)

-Hannah H

Bonnie said...

Send him to the cafeteria to eat Swedish meatballs while you shop! I assume you come to the Frisco store; it's only 30 minutes from me but I've only been there two three times. I get overwhelmed. And I've never figured out how to maneuver a cart with the multi-floor layout. But I love some of their things, and their prices are amazing too.

Ulrika said...

I'm living in IKEA-land. (I.e. Sweden the country where the founder is from - and of course the origin of the famous Swedish meatballs and lingonberries.) AND we have an IKEA store right here in our town. Just a few minutes away by car. ;)

Megan said...

We have the same popsicle molds (except one slipped down into the bottom of the dishwasher and melted, so we can only make five at a time). I like to make smoothies, and we just put the leftovers into the molds and freeze them. I usually do almond milk, any frozen fruit we have on hand, and some protein powder (vanilla or chocolate).

I love having them on-hand, and when the ice cream man comes down the street, I can offer a healthy, homemade alternative that my kids love.

Teresa R said...

Minute Maid has Cherry Limeade and Peach which would make good popsicles. You could freeze chocolate milk also.

Liv said...

My sister just sent me this recipe for fudgesicles that have avacado in them! Haven't tried them yet but they look super yummy!
http://www.cookwithamber.com/episode-39-fudgsicles/

Emily said...

We freeze MIo water in our Popsicle molds;). The kids love them;).

karen smith said...

our nearest ikea is about 6 hours away, south of boston (i live in downeast maine) we go there a couple times a year with a preprinted list and fill the truck with goodies to bring back for everyone. everyone in the family keeps an ikea wish list.

Mandy said...

I would love to see them! What's your blog? I tried to click on your profile, but it said private. I'd love to see them!

Mandy said...

Oh wow- how did you get a coupon? That's awesome!! I love that they have them everywhere- how cool that you live in Prague! I love it!! :D

Mandy said...

oh those all sound good!! now I NEED a lemonade popsicle!! LOL

Mandy said...

oh no! I think they do online orders for some items?

Mandy said...

how close is Frisco to you? and I totally get the nesting thing!! :D me too!

Mandy said...

oh my goodness- I haven't counted ours but I think you've got us beat! :) I love windows but I'm shocked at the cost of covering them! LOL! I totally need to make lemonade popsicles and I want to try the v8 idea- that's GENIUS! :)

Mandy said...

oh that's awesome! Okay, so I have to know- how do you like their food? :D

Mandy said...

Oh, I have lots of protein powders! that's a fabulous idea to add in- and so filling!

Mandy said...

mmmm! I like your ideas!! I'm a huge Cherry limeade fan!

Mandy said...

oh I've heard avocado is great for natural ice cream! I would have never thought to make fudgsicles though! that's a great idea! thank you!

Mandy said...

which flavor do you like? I haven't tried that before!!

Mandy said...

oh that's so nice of you to do that!

Ulrika said...

Haha, well - I've actually never eaten there, apart from the hotdogs and ice cream. :D Because of my bladder issues and having to use a catheter I try to make most trips to stores short enough to not have to use the bathroom so we usually only get a quick snack while there. ;)

Anonymous said...

I live about 4hrs from my nearest Ikea (which is in Sydney Australia), i lurve to go there but the trips are usually short as hubby and the kids are there and hubby likes to get what we came for and get out. Id love to be able to go in there by myself with an endless budget hehe.

Monika said...

They sent it to me for free (I´m member of their IKEA club) - it was part of their advertisement of some weekend action :-)
It´s great that world is so small through internet :-D

Jonathan, Amy, Addison, Bennett, and Garrett said...

We moved to Norway last fall and our house came furnished almost entirely with Ikea furniture. Before our few personal items made it here it felt like we were living in an Ikea showroom. There is an Ikea about 10 minutes from our house. Our kids love to go there and play. Norway is a very expensive place to eat but the Ikea food is still reasonably priced so we head up there for playing, shopping and lunch more often than we probably should. I love to see how they stage the different rooms here, they always seem to have original ideas on how to use the Ikea products.
I am pregnant with #4 right now and I bought the orange version of your polka dot rug for his nursery. We are moving to Paris at the end of the month and I am so anxious to get settled in our new house so I can start putting his room together.
I am using my nesting energy right now to get organized for our move, hopefully I still have some energy left for when we get there!
Good luck with your little man on the way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...