a rare moment + life with 5 in pics

A rare moment is happening in our house right now: the kids are outside playing happily AND the baby is sleeping in the other room. And I've taken a shower, washed my hair, and put makeup on today. Hallelujah! :)

It's been a crazy couple of weeks adjusting to this new life! :) Forget all the to-do lists, I've been quite happy to sit on the couch, hold that cute little thing, and be a milk machine while absolutely nothing gets done. :) The dishes have been getting washed when they get washed, and our living room has become a messy version of Legoland- all the kids have been playing Legos almost all day long. The mess occasionally gets to me though, usually at night, and we have to pick it all up before bed. And the Legos finally left the living room an hour ago after a week of being out everywhere. ;)

The baby has been sleeping better for the last week or so, eating several times a night, but sleeping a good 12 hour stretch in a deep sleep, which has been so good for me, since Rob's been taking care of the kids and letting me sleep in with him too. :)

I'd forgotten how it feels to be needed pretty much 24/7, but I know it won't be long before we'll fall into a napping/eating schedule, and I'll be able to get things done in spurts again. Like today- I was able to make lunch and do the dishes {after 2 days of them sitting there!}, and sit down to blog, and the little one is still sleeping. :D

Here are a few pics of what life has looked like for us lately:

I sit here and do this as much as I can: :)


look at those fingers! huge!!
While the girls play Legos, babies, and dress-up all day {Ava looks thrilled- Isabella was determined to get a picture with her!}:
random fact: the pink dress was actually MY dress as a 5 year old!!
And their brother can sleep right through it all, as long as he's on top of mommy: 


In kitchen news, I made pancakes yesterday- the ugliest pancakes ever, but the first real thing I've made since Zane was born, so I had to take a picture. ;)


Thankfully though, we've been super blessed to have several dinners brought from friends! I can't tell you how wonderful it's been not to have to make dinner! 


And the kids have become very good helpers lately- they clean up the entire kitchen and living room! {and do a pretty good job!}. I think we're going to need to start a new chore schedule soon with the return of school, otherwise mommy will never keep up again. ;)


{I love it when the girls ask me to clean.... ;) My answer is always yes.}


All the girls cleaned while Rob and the boys built our homeschool desk yesterday. It's almost finished, and I can't wait to see how it all comes together!



Speaking of homeschooling- I found an Ergo carrier on clearance at Marshall's last week {more on that later!}, and it's been a huge help when I'm carrying around the little one {he doesn't seem to like any other sling we have since they all restrict him in a lying position}. I think it will be a lifesaver when we get back to schooling again. 

It's been a while since we had a baby and homeschooled {4 years to be exact!} though... do you have any tips for me?

What works for you when it comes to balancing a newborn and 4 kiddos doing school?

What's your favorite baby carrier for a baby that likes to be upright?

Any pretty pancake tips? I think the longer the batter sat, the prettier and smoother they became!

30 comments

MandyBentley said...

I love baby carriers! My favorite is a wrap conversion ring sling or a woven wrap. They are so comfortable!! (And life savers)

Mandy said...

oh what's a woven wrap? I think I've seen the ring slings but can't remember trying one before!

Erin @ His and Hers said...

I have a physical therapist friend and she recommends the Ergo more than other carriers of a similar style because of how it holds the baby. So clearance + that = you got a good deal! :)

Sophie from France said...

I brought my 6 babies with a sling like this:
http://www.bbdino.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/echarpe-de-portage.jpg (in fact, it's a woven wrap, i think)
... and it saved my life! On my stomach at first, then on my back to 5-6 months ...And up to 2 or 3 years for walking, for example (when baby starts wanting to walk alone, but not too long, you know?) And it's very pratique to breastfeed.
Here is pancake every morning .. I have several recipes, but I think the one I prefer is the one with ricotta. The pancakes are fluffy and tasty...

Andrea said...

I'm expecting baby 7, and I don't do a lot of baby carrying, but my favorite is a homemade Moby wrap!

http://www.mobywrap.com/mw/Home.htm

I can choose whether they are up right, laying down, on your back (I don't do the back though) and the best part was I made mine for about $5.00 (Wal-Mart $1 rack).

I had a friend who had one, so I traced the ends of hers, but I'm sure that by now there is a tutorial somewhere to make it! Ok, just did a quick search on wraps (I'm a nerd like that) and I can't find a tutorial that has the ends tapered, so you could skip it, like they do, or if I were to make tutorial, I would recommend placing a bowl/saucer in the center of the short ends and tracing half way around (closest to the end) and then following that out about a foot and a half so that it goes to the edges. Clear as mud? I should make a tutorial, but 6 kids, homeschool, pregnancy. . . probably won't get to it ;) If you think you want more details on making one, let me know, and I'll try to reexplain it if I wasn't clear ;)

Best of all you can pick your own colors :) p.s. if you buy your own material, you only use one side, you could make smaller ones for your girls!


http://monkeysewmonkeydo.blogspot.com/2010/03/make-your-own-moby-wrap-tutorial.html

Anonymous said...

Homeschooling with a baby is pretty easy once they are mobile it gets hard. Audio cd for read a louds. I have found our history and vocab on cd too. I do school in my bed or on the couch in the last month of pregnancy and for awhile after birth so I can nurse. And sometimes I fall asleep!

EpicMan said...

I used a Moby with both of my kids because they did not like to lay down in a sling. But I've always wanted to try out a more structured carrier.

Sarah said...

Congratulations on your sweet boy! I love that you got to birth at home, that is a DREAM of mine! I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! You deserve it! Check it out here: http://www.mustardseedmommy.com/2013/08/the-versatile-blogger-award/

Jessica said...

Congrats on baby # 5!! I just had our fifth a few months ago, and finally invested in an Ergo last week(something tells me I'm going to be jealous of your Marshalls find!) I always love reading your updates!!

Stephanie T said...

I love my wrap slings (http://www.didymos.de/en/).
We don't homeschool, but I carried a lot, especially our third and fourth baby- always with a wrap sling.

Greetings
Stephanie

Ilaide said...

I used a Moby a LOT with my fourth, and plan on it with my fifth. It's great when the baby needs to be upright b/c of reflux. I also use it to keep the baby safe from the littles who adore but don't know how to be gentle! As for homeschooling with 4+newborn, I'll be joining you in figuring it out in a few weeks. :) I have some ideas, but of course, that's all they are at the moment.

Luanne said...

My sling was a life-saver during those first few years of homeschooling with an infant. I did have to remind myself to be extremely flexible and do things that required "mommy/teacher" attention during the morning nap times so my older kids could have my full attention. They did more independent work and chores during feeding times. You will be in my prayers as you begin this school year......I have every confidence that you will be totally fine.

Lauren - Ambitious Stitches said...

I almost bought an Ergo carrier, but got a great deal on a gently used Boba 3g instead. We don't homeschool, but I can tell you that very little would get done around here without my Boba! My LO doesn't nap (I'm talking NEVER) unless she's in the Boba or snuggled up with me. So, if there's cleaning to be done the into the carrier she goes!

Casa de Sutton said...

baby k'tan-best. carrier. ever. used it starting with baby #3 and I LOVE that I can wad it up super small and stuff it in the diaper bag, throw it in the wash, use as a burp rag or hooter hider :)

Nessa Bixler said...

I loved the Moby until they are bigger then I use a Boba (the older version of the 3g). My daughter is 3 and I put her in the Boba carrier when her legs were too tires at the zoo. Her baby brother was asleep in the wagon. It has held up really well and it is 3 years old.

Raquel said...

i just had my 6th baby last week and i bought a ERGO this time around, i hope i love it as much as i think i will. congrats on the baby!

Ashleigh Bomar said...

For us Texas girls, I found everything too hot except the Boba and the Bali Breeze wrap whic is like a moby but gauze. Both are amazing!

Mandy said...

oh thank you! good to know!! :D

Mandy said...

mmmm I want to try one of your pancakes, Sophie!! I have a wrap similar to that I used for #3 and she loved it!!

Mandy said...

oh thank you for the instructions! I tried to make one in a hurry with some jersey I had one hand last week, but I like your instructions- I just eyed it, and a bowl would have been brilliant!

Mandy said...

that's true- it probably is the easiest time right now since he's sleeping all day! :D

Mandy said...

oh thank you so much, Sarah!!

Mandy said...

oh thank you! yay for 5ths and first Ergo's!! :D

Mandy said...

oh congratulations to you!! i can't wait to hear how it goes for you! :D

Mandy said...

I Iove how small that one is!! It looks so cozy too!!

Catie said...

He is SO cute! :) Looks like things are going pretty well for you! Praise God!

I have an Ergo-ish wrap that I'm borrowing from a friend and I'm excited to try it. (I'm due to have our third baby in 2 weeks.)

Lydia (The Thrifty Frugal Mom) said...

Always enjoy your posts. And I've finally learned that pancakes just turn out better if the batter sits for a bit before I make them. I use a whole wheat recipe that takes buttermilk. We love it!

Caroline Vickers said...

Looking at your site always makes me feel happy. My girls are 18 and 20 now but I teach in a Christian school and I love the ethos of your life. You're doing AMAZINGLY.
Caroline (from Leicester, England)

Anonymous said...

may I ask what you used to build your homeschool table? Did you get it from a website or did your husband wing it? :) Its amazing and may need something like it.

Faith20ten said...

Is there a post on the finished homeschool desk? Would love to see how it turned out and if there were directions your husband followed.