thrifty turquoise dining table redo {before and after}

We always joke that it's such a good thing we only buy used furniture because with four young children we pretty much destroy every single thing we own. :) I'd hate to have spent full price for that to inevitably happen! ;)

We bought this counter-height table {used} on Craigslist about 5 years ago- it came with 8 bar stools and a center expansion leaf. It was a really popular style at the time, so we were thrilled to pay only $375 for a table set that would fit in our old dining room and hold all of our growing family. It barely fit in our teeny nook, but we squeezed it in, and we loved it.

Five years later, it was in pretty terrible shape after being abused daily as our kitchen island table.  :D Here's what it looked like when we started last weekend:


We bought a new table top to replace the now ruined mdf top it came with {can you see the cardboard effect coming through?}, because we loved the way the table looked in our kitchen and didn't want to replace it. But we have to cut the new top down, so we went ahead and repainted the old top until that project happens. Here is the table with a coat of primer. It's pretty in white:


But I had more colorful plans... ;) Thankfully the hubs was willing to oblige {such a good man!}, and pulled out his paint sprayer to make it look beautiful and smooth.

Here it is with a sprayed on coat of oil-based paint from Behr {called Tropical Waters}. It's a deep but bright turquoise color.


And here it is all finished in the kitchen:




I'm in love! :) The pictures ended up a tad brighter than it is in real life, but I think you can get a good idea of what it looks like. We left the all-wood chairs black for now, because the abuse clock starts all over once you paint them. ;) But eventually they will get a coat of a different color. :)

I'm not sure how well the new paint will hold up to daily abuse, but we'll see how it goes! I love how the oil-based hardens and holds up on our other painted DIY projects, so I'm hoping we have great luck with this one too!

Have you ever painted your kitchen table? How did it hold up?

Did you ever buy a counter-height table too? :) 
I still love how tall our table is! Though it was harder early on to have little kids that couldn't get down easily, we use it every day in the kitchen.

Do you find that your kitchen table is the hub of your home? 
We always end up congregating around it when we have company over too! There's just something about the kitchen... :)

18 comments

Christine Sykes said...

LOOOOVVVVVEEEEEE!

Amy said...

Thats awesome! Glad that you posted a blog about it.
We're going to check out a used crib this weekend, sand it down and paint it for baby (not due till November). We were thinking a Turquoise as well.
Looks beautiful!! :)

mama essy said...

LOVE IT! I would have never I've thought to do a dining table in a colour like this! I'm inspired now.

k said...

Beautiful! So welcoming and homey!

terre said...

i love it!! i really want to paint my table -- its been on my mind for weeks now. did you sand first or just wash it and then prime it? btw - i am going for a barn red table top look and keeping the chairs and rest of the table the same worn dark color it is. if i didn't have to sand it, i would paint the whole table like you did.

Mellissa Rose said...

Awesome! I have use a clear top coat on items I have painted and that has held up pretty well.

Emily said...

We have a cherry finish counter height table. I bought clear plastic at Hobby Lobby to use as a 'table cloth' - it fits the top of the table perfectly. Might work for you too :-)

Caroline said...

I love it! It turned out beautifully. We're painting walls right now and I hate picking out colors. I'm always so scared to get it wrong. Cause I'm not doing it twice!

I refinished our kitchen table about eight years ago. It was an antique we got for a steal on ebay. It's held up great, but I do baby it. The chairs, not so much. I think our tile floors (and kids!) are really hard on chairs. We finally got benches last year when we had another baby and ran out of chairs. :)

Anonymous said...

I have that exact same table and ours is doing the same thing on the top! What a great idea you have given me, I love it!
Pam

Sophie from France said...

We had an old table that I painted several times, because the paint didn't hold (but it was acrylic paint, not oil paint). This table was too small for our family, and luckily, a friend gave us, this year, a white melamine board (without feet, so we got on the old table), recovered in a shoes store. Even if it's not very pretty, it's very convenient:. It's large enough for us (8), it does not take up too much space in the kitchen, and melamine is very strong and easy to clean (and especially the price of the tables adapted to our family is exorbitant!)
And I agree, the kitchen is the heart of the house, and we always find ourselves around the table to eat, draw, do homework, have a coffee with friends ... and this is where I spend the most time (cook for 8 takes many, many times!)

Angela ~ Call Her Blessed said...

I love it! Kitchen looks pretty.

Rebekah @ Living && Learning said...

Thats gorgeous!! (& I love your kitchen!!)

Tami T said...

I have followed you for a long time, but have never commented before. I absolutely LOVE the kitchen table!!! And the black chairs are PERFECT with it!!! I wouldn't paint them any other color! The black 'grounds' the bright turquoise color. BEAUTIFUL!!!!
I can't believe you haven't had your baby yet! :)
Tami

Lauren Nelson said...

The table turned out great! I am in love with that color and it is such a great pop in your kitchen! Good job!!!

heather said...

My 16 year old recently painted my kitchen table with game boards on it. We still have to coat it with a clear protective coat. I told her she could try to sell it as long as she uses some of the profits to buy me another used table. So, far no buyers so I get a very artistic table for free :)

Heather @ It's A Long Story said...

SO cute! We still LOVE our counter height table. We have a kitchen island with a breakfast bar (god bless IKEA!), and I love that we don't have to buy more bar stools for it, just grab some extras from the table that's all of 3 feet away!

khilt said...

I just found your blog, and i love it! I am inspired now to try different colors! We have an old home too. What paint colors are your kitchen and dining room?

Sandee said...

ive been wanting to paint my kitchen island/butcher block aqua. this has given me some motivation. thanks!