Thursday, September 19, 2013

anthropologie garage sales: better than black friday at GW

You know every now and then you hit one of those garage sales you get really excited about- one hosted by someone your age, with great clothes in close to your size, and fantastic taste. The garage sale of someone who shops at Banana Republic and Anthropologie who wants to get rid of their stuff in the next hour and wants to make a deal.  :) Talk about thrilling. :D 

I found a garage sale like that not too long ago, and it was like getting Goodwill prices at Anthropologie, but even better! :) 

I scored all of this for $10:


Which seems pretty decent, you might think- it is way better than GW prices for 7 items. But wait...

These plates were from Anthropologie:


And they still had the stickers on the back for $14 each. :) Plus, they came with plate hangers! I got them for all of $1.43 each,  right at 10% of their original price, not counting the cost of plate hangers! :) Every now and then I'll find a cute plate at GW for .99, but 3 anthro plates with hangers? Never happened.

The throw didn't have a tag on it, but it's thick and heavy, and it's perfect for a corner chair:


And I normally wear clothes I find for thrifty thursday pictures, but it's going to be a while before I can wear these. :) The dress was a silk tea-length from Hype {also sold at anthro for crazy amounts of $!}, and the scarf is yellow houndstooth from Banana Republic. All for $1.43 each. The pink top is super cute too- well made with embroidery at the bottom. It feels very high quality.


And at another garage sale at a friend's house, I found these ginormous candle holders for $5 for the set! {that's what she was asking on the sticker- I didn't even talk her down... ;)}


Now I just need to find 3 pillar candles at a garage sale- if I bought them at Walmart, I'd have to pay more than the holders cost! :)

I'm sad that garage sale season is nearly over- a fact that is hilarious to me, really, because I have very distinct memories of being in the 8th grade and hiding under the seat while my mom went to them.  I was mortified to be shopping at garage sales. And now I tell everyone the deal I found on this stuff in someone's yard. :) We've come a long way, baby! Hehehe.

Were you embarrassed to shop at garage sales when you were young too? Or did you grow up doing it and love it?
I would have saved a ton of money in college if I had bought my clothes secondhand. I guess you have to learn some things the hard way. ;)

What's your best garage sale deal ever? I really want to know- I love a good thrifting story!
I'd say we found the best deals ever at this garage sale 3 years ago!

What do you use in place of pillar candles? Any creative ideas or great sources for cheap large ones?

15 comments:

Heather said...

I once found a couch and loveseat on the side of the road during large trash weekend. Upholstery was perfect and a neutral beige. I knocked on the person's door and to my surprise I knew them. Nothing was wrong with the set, they were just getting new furniture! Score! I was in college then but still use the set everyday, married with a daughter, and one on the way... it's been 5 or 6 years now and still going strong! :)

Keri said...

haha!! The fact that you hid in the backseat makes me laugh as I did the same thing!!!! :) When I was younger...I loved going to garage sales. It was a special treat for me to go with my momma. Then, I was embarassed about it and would NOT get out of the car. Now, I LOVE them and am greatly disappointed when I can't go on a weekend.
As for my best garage sale finds....I have lots of them, but TWO stick out. Two weeks ago I bought a kitchen aid food processor with the extra box with the parts in it, for $5!! Looked it up online using the manual that came with it and on kitchenaid's website mine was $250!!! This food processor did not even looked used. It was just a little dusty as though it had been stored. It works awesome!! :) As for my other great find, I'll give you a backstory. I wanted one of those big, giant clocks with the pretty scrolling at walmart. They were $69.97!! Way out of budget! Hubby said to wait. We later found them out sale for half off-$35. Hubby to said to wait, we didn't have the money. We found them on sale AGAIN at $25 and my hubby said to wait. I was chomping at the bit, and was getting pretty anxious. A few days later hubby had a $25 bonus from work and said I could get it. Went to buy a clock and they were ALL GONE!! I was so sad. That next weekend at a garage sale, I spotted something under the table..it was MY clock IN THE BOX, with the $69.97 price tag on it. I asked about it and they said the "hands were bent" (they weren't. I pushed down the hands of the clock to put them in place and they worked great) I asked how much? They said "ah, a quarter!" WHAT!!!! Yup!!! Hubby says I should listen to him more often and wait on things.....look what happened when I did!! :)

jen said...

If you find pillar candles once they've burned in a bit after use put tea lights in the top/ burn them ( or use the battery ones - saves the candles but still get the flame :)

Molly B said...

I think it also looks cool to put something OTHER than pillars on them. I have a short wide black candle holder that I have a couple of pretty clear glass birds sitting on. (sort of have to go with the birds sometimes when your last name is byrd, lol). just an idea, and great garage sale scores!

Shirley Rempel said...

Best buy ever was a set of Matthew Henry Commentaries for the entire Bible, for only $10! I also found a fantastic deal of children's clothes when my oldest was little...20 pieces of clothing (all from babyGap, TCP, Gymboree, etc) for $15

Edna Marlen said...

I was embarassed to get down at houses where I knew someone from school. But I've loved looking for awesome pieces in amazing prices at garage sales and thrift stores for as long as I can remember.

Handbags*N*Pigtails said...

Holy moly Keri, that right there was a sure blessing because you honored your husband. That's a great story! :)

Bonnie said...

This time of year, put those little pumpkins on the candleholders. Cute and kid-friendly.

Shawn, Kellie, Arielle and Anna said...

Great finds! Love anthro and love those plates! For decorative pillar candles I love IKEA... do you have one in TX? They have really good prices. : )

Kristin said...

I am a yard sale junkie! I don't get to go nearly as often as I'd like because it is so much work to bring the kids with me and I don't like to go alone so it means either finding a babysitter or finding a friend to go with me. I love finding clothes at yard sales. A few years ago I went to a yard sale that was selling older boy clothes (so hard to find!) and they were in excellent condition. I ended up bringing home a huge pile (8-9 pairs) of boy jeans for less than $3! I was one happy, thrifty mama.

Nothing beats this yard sale I went to probably 7 years ago. The family was moving and they had boxes of boy clothes to get rid of. All items were a quarter apiece. When they saw we were interested, they ended up giving us everything they had left and went into their house and brought out another box that they gave us for free!

Meg Farhall said...

Our church holds an annual garage sale as a fundraiser and everyone donates their stuff for the sale, there are always great deals! One year I found a set of Ralph Lauren crystal glasses for .25 cents each, they are usually $40.00 per glass! I almost hyperventilated ;0)

Andrea Veitch said...

Hi, I'm a Brit - we don't tend to do garage sales. But we do thrift shops and eBay. I've stopped buying new now, I like to find good clothes that are second hand as we waste too much in the west. I also have out the majority of our furniture from eBay and upcycled! You can some of my more recent ones on my blog;
mrsdbliss.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Just found a 12 ft carved oak table that needs tlc....now where to put it?

Naomi said...

You need to move to California where you can garage sale shop the year around. There is no season out here!

Boy oh Boy oh Boy! said...

I vividly remember my mom making me try on a red snowsuit at a garage sale in the middle of the summer(HOT)! I went through a short phase when I didn't go to garage sales during my teenage years, but I love them now. I think you should put cute little pumpkins or gourds on the top of your new candle holders for now. That would be cute for the fall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...