7 tips for hosting a painting party + my first real painting

Did I ever tell you about the painting party we had at my house for my friend Sara a couple of weeks ago? Oh my goodness, we had so much fun. It was super simple- I bought lots of cheap brushes and some of the paints, covered the tables, and everyone brought their own canvases and went after it in the dining room! :) 

None of us were artists or professionals, except for Lindsay {holding the phone below- you can tell by how she's holding her brush here she knows what she's doing!}. It was such a good thing she was there- she gave us consulting advice and helped us all when we needed it! :) She's awesome.


I bought a large set of brushes at Hobby Lobby, and also thanks to Lindsay's advice, instead of spending lots of money on fancy paint for this kind of party, I bought several colors of cheap acrylic paints:


I lit the candles, turned on Pandora, and we relaxed and just ate and painted for a few hours! It was surprisingly therapeutic. :D 


And I loved the birthday girl's painting!! She used painters tape to make the word love, and then painted over it.


And here's how it turned out- isn't it beautiful?



And I was so focused on painting and baby bouncing, I didn't get any shots of the other paintings until the end of the night, but here was Abbie's finished painting:


For my own painting, I wanted to use this birthday notebook from Anthropologie as my inspiration:


I mixed a few colors to get a teal background, and then Lindsay drew the flowers I wanted in chalk for me to get me started:


I only got about halfway through it at the party, so I had to finish it from there without any drawing help {eek!}. I can't actually draw or paint {this was my first real painting!}, so I was scared a little to even try, but again thanks to Lindsay's advice, I drew my flowers on with chalk so I could get it right before I painted it. And when I messed up on the painting part, I just wiped it off!! :D There was plenty of wiping going on for sure, but I really liked this kind of artistic challenge! :)

Here's what my painting looked like as I worked on it the next day:


And after 5 more hours of painting for Elijah's birthday {and a backache from bending over, hehe}, here's the mostly finished product:


I like it! :) It's not exactly perfect and there's one thing I really want to change, but hey, it will work! I really like the colors and I was actually very happy with it considering who painted it! ;) And it's a large piece of art that only cost me $4 plus paint and time. Like the Nester always says, it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful. :) This one might just end up on my gallery wall! :)

If you ever have the chance to get a group of girls together to paint {for any reason!}, you should totally do it. It's a cheap, easy party and it's so much fun. :) I hope to do it again soon!

If you're interested in hosting one, here are 7 things I would do:

1. Buy cheap acrylic paint, decent brushes with lots of tips, and a box of chalk. Have everyone bring their own canvases.

2. Use disposable cups for water.


3. Cover the tables with paper.


4. Have a hair dryer handy to speed up the drying process. 


5. Start a Pinterest board with your girlfriends and share/gather ideas beforehand so you can get right to painting. Choosing what to paint was the hardest thing for almost everyone. :)


6. Add music and candles, and food if you can. Have everyone bring something if possible.


7. Try to do something you can finish in a couple of hours, unless you can finish it later. {my painting was like 10 hours total! LOL}




Have you ever been to a painting party? Or painted a canvas? 

What's the most fun party you've ever been to?
I can't pick just one. My favorites: my own surprise mystery birthday dinner party, this vintage wedding, a game party for my husband's 30th birthday, a square dance party, and this one. :)



14 comments

MariLynn said...

Looks and sounds like a fun time. I have done card making parties but not a painting one. Thanks for sharing.

Gael Zimmerman said...

This would be cool idea as a fundraiser!

Laura said...

There are studios that you can host private events at where it's $20-35/person and they provide everything and clean up everything. Most of the studios serve alcohol, but if you have enough people to have a private event, you can bypass that. I plan to organize an even at Brush and Barrel in my community for some people from my church and we just won't have the alcohol be part of it and bring our own music.

Krystle Poppell said...

I love this idea!
Can I just say that reading your blog has really impacted my life. It has given my so much inspiration to do so many things that I am so grateful for. Thank you!

Jennifer Plotts said...

As Laura mentioned above, I have just recently become acquainted with one of those art studios that has a different painting each night of the week. I have been about 5 times in as many months, and I absolutely love the creativity that flows from those 2.5 hours. (I have a technical engineering job, and I have never been very artsy even though I do love creating things.) I had been thinking of having a party with them sometime, but the minimum number of people to attend is quite high so this is an absolutely wonderful idea! Now I just need to find my resident artist so she can help lead the group with tips and tricks!

Betsy said...

That looks like such a fun idea! I might pull something together for my kiddos party this weekend!

Laura said...

What a cool idea! Thank you for the inspiration! I've always wanted to go to one of those Wine & Design painting places, but this seems much cheaper and more fun in the comfort of your own home!!

Latrecia said...

Super cute! I'm thinking o having one of these to "break the ice" at our new house.

Life Between Potato and Rice said...

Your painting looks beautiful ! The colors really vibrant ! Great party !
best,
marlin

Mellissa Rose said...

What a fantastic idea! Your painting came out great! I don't think my dining room table would be big enough. It only fits 4. My favorite party was my 14th birthday - at Chuck E. Cheese! LOL.

septemberlove said...

Unique idea!! I am definitely going to try hosting something like that. And your painting is awesome by the way! P.S. I really enjoy your blog :)

-Antonina

Lisa Pray said...

LOVE, LOVE this party idea... unfortunately, without someone walking me through a step-by-step painting, the result might be a bit scary ;)

Jessica Cook said...

Holy moly! They're beautiful! What a fun and awesome idea!

Deborah said...

this so helped inspire a thank you gift for my parents in-law, and I will be hosting a painting party very very soon. I'll post pics of the finished project to the Facebook. job very well done ladies!