Friday, January 31, 2014

thrifty huge mirror transformation {with annie sloan paint!!}

Have you ever walked into a thrift store, had something from across the room immediately catch your eye, and it took every fiber of your being to restrain yourself from sprinting to it? :P

That's what happened when I saw this mirror. :)


Since we are trying to pay off our house this year, I haven't bought much in the way of decor in the last few months, but I knew this was one item that was worth the $19.99 price tag! :)

I knew what I would do with it as soon as I got home: paint it bright turquoise green! :) {you know me... I have a history of painting thrift store mirrors aqua, heheh.}


I used Annie Sloan's chalk paint in "florence"{pricey, but goes soooo far!} to transform it in one coat:


I didn't need any primer thanks to the consistency of chalk paint, and I haven't waxed it or distressed it yet because I can't decide if I want to. :) I liked the chalk paint because it is very vibrant and coated well, but I think you could totally get a similar effect with regular paint and more coats. 


I'm estimating that I used about $5-$6 worth of paint, which means I got a huge funky turquoise green mirror for less than $30! I think it would have run between $75-$150 at Hobby Lobby or Home Goods. 

Saving that kind of money makes for an exciting day around here. :)


Thrift store shopping is like treasure hunting, I tell you. :) You never know what you'll find!


Have you ever used Annie Sloan's chalk paint? Verdict?

Don't you love cheap mirrors too?
One of my first Valentine's presents as a married girl was this mirror for $100 at Hobby Lobby. I think it may be one of the few mirrors we've paid full price for {along with this one}.

25 comments:

bonniegetchell said...

It's gorgeous!! Love, love, love the color! :)

-Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
www.revolutionariesblog.com

Christy Faust said...

It looks great! Love the chalk paint.

Lauren said...

Gorgeous!! One of these days, when I've got some spare cash and time, I'm definitely going to start thrift store hunting for something just like this!

Crystal Ybarra said...

Super Cute! Good Idea!

Anonymous said...

Yes! I know that feeling! I once took an item {nicely} from a Goodwill employee's hand! It was a wooden dollhouse and it was TWO DOLLARS!!!!
Your mirror is lovely! You did an awesome job!
Beth in NC

Leslie said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Annie Sloan chalk paint! Yes its pricey but SO worth it! I painted 2 desks and a lingerie dresser (that my neighbor threw away!) with 1 quart of paint and still have some left! My fav color is duck egg blue but this turquoise color is lovely. I would def think about at least distressing it or using some dark wax to bring out the carved area. Beautiful!

Catie said...

I love that color! I have a dresser that I use in my kitchen for homeschool storage that's about that same color. Makes me happy whenever I look at it. :)

MariLynn said...

Very pretty. I like how it turned out. I am wondering how it would look antiqued with gold on top of the turquoise to give it some extra depth.

Sophie from france said...

This morning I listened to a radio show that talked about differences in education of children between the American and French ... it was very interesting, and I thought of you!
ps: I love the mirror!

Katy said...

It looks beautiful! :)

Renee said...

Love it! I have a mirror to redo, I'm thinking gold. I used to not be a gold fan, but I'm changing my mind!

Hannah Butler said...

I love chalk paint but I have been making my own! I've been mixing 1/2 c of plaster of paris with 1/2 cup of water and stir until it's smooth then mix in with 1-1.5 cups of paint! I've now painted 2 dressers and a china hutch and they have all turned out great! I LOVE the mirror! I'm on the hunt for a cheap one now :)

Anonymous said...

Yes as hannah said you can make your own chalk paint and its much cheaper

Daryl Lindsey Schmidt said...

Suddenly it's soooo funky and cool looking! That's awesome! I think everyone needs a bright pop of turquoise in their life.

<3 Daryl
Unlost

Sola Scriptura said...

I love what you did with this mirror! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Lauren said...

Looks awesome!! Love the color you chose & Annie Sloan paint

Jessica said...

That is so pretty! Now I'm resisting the urge to load up my kids and head to good will to see if I can't score a mirror like that! :)

Daenel T. said...

Ohhhh I love it! The color is stunning.

Alexandra Consolver said...

Beautiful! I love these thrifting projects! I bought a 12 inch tall dark wooden super '70's owl at my local GW for $3. It was super ugly as is, but had potential. Gave it a few coats of white acrylic paint and now it is adorable! :) Love the mirror, such a great color choice too! :) -Alexandra

Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

Sarah Parker said...

AMAZING! How in the world do you homeschool, take care of five children, thrift shop, have your house so clean, look amazing & still have time to fix up gorgeous mirrors? I count shower days a victory! lol! :)

Susan D said...

Excellent hunting and refurbishing. Love taking something pre-owned and putting my spin on it. My husband and I enjoy the treasure hunt.

Susan D said...

Excellent hunting and refurbishing. Love taking something pre-owned and putting my spin on it. My husband and I enjoy the treasure hunt.

Dana Lamb said...

Looks great- I don't know what sort of GW or garage sales you frequent but the many Goodwills nearby my home and garage sales I've been to, do not yield anything worthy of painting or even minor repairs. And when there is something halfway decent, it's expensive for something that is used. Our goodwill sells new items too, for ridiculous prices, paintings for $30, etc. Consider yourself blessed that you live somewhere with good secondhand options. I clearly have the world's worst timing for GW and garage sales :)

Anonymous said...

Love the mirror..do you live in Tyler..

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this! The pop of color is amazing and a mirror is the perfect piece for it! I have been using AS chalk paint for a year or so...have bought and painted several thrifted pieces of furniture...my latest was a buffet off craigslist that I came out of my comfort zone and painted Emperors Silk (red) and then used dark wax, I'm thrilled at the way it turned out! I usually go for the Old White and Paris Gray. Anyway, I wouldn't use any other paint now, chalk paint is so easy with no cleaning, priming or sanding...you can get a piece done so quickly, even with kids running around! Love your blog and your darling family! Kristen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...