1895 master bedroom reveal {on a budget}


This "reveal" has been waiting for the longest time. I have no idea why, really, except all decorating motivation completely abandoned me for about 12 months. ;) 2013 = pregnancy, newborn #5, and the return of full-time homeschooling meant decorating was shelved for quite a while. ;) Well, I think we did actually do one or two things last year, so that's not entirely true. Decorating was on the back burner, anyway. :) But even though it's been done for a little while, I'm still excited about it all!

Did I ever tell you my husband is my hero? The longer I'm married to him, the more I'm convinced he can do pretty much anything. Renovation? Check. Solo two-story house painting? Check. Build furniture? Check. Car repair? Check. Computer anything? You betcha. He's a stud. :)

He tore out our falling sheet rock and spent hours on a ladder pulling out thread after thread from a zillion wall paper nails to reveal these beautiful planks on the ceiling:



He even hung my 9 foot curtains from IKEA and painted our old dining room doors teal for our headboard. :)


And he redid the floors, hung the ceiling fan, and repainted every bit of the room and the trim on this old fireplace. :)



When it comes to remodels, I get out easy. :) I specialize in the decor department- I select paint colors, and buy and redo stuff like the $10 aqua mirror, $7ish fireplace cover, and a wall basket from Goodwill and $3 candleholders from Craigslist.


Some of the decor was homemade too, like the book page flower wreath and the euro shams {from part of a $20 clearanced Amy Butler duvet} and throw pillow made from a Goodwill skirt {the middle black one was from a garage sale though :)}.


I found the ruffled white duvet with shams at Target a few years ago on clearance for $50, and the colorful one at Linen's and Things on clearance for $25, and the white shams at Goodwill for a few dollars a couple of years ago.


I found this side table at Lowe's on clearance several years ago too and painted it yellow to make it look old {hahah!}:


And our old living room rug from Pottery Barn for $129 was probably the biggest splurge of the room, along with a frame and poster from IKEA that totaled about $40. It was the best deal I could find for a frame I really liked in that size. :) And I'm still in love with the rug!


Our dresser was from Craigslist, for $40, the chair was a garage sale find for $10, and the mirror was from GW for $10. I think I bought the flower pic for $14ish at Marshall's. :)


I replaced some of the knobs with Hobby Lobby knobs and Marshall's glass ones:


And the velvet pillow was a World Market find. :)



Our very old bedroom is definitely full of old stuff {character}, but I really like it. The white paint and lovely old ceiling and the transom window really make the whole room feel airy and bright. I love the way it all came together, but more than anything, I'm so thankful for such a blessing of a husband who made an old, falling down room into a wonderful retreat for his bride. :)


27 comments

gillian claire said...

gorgeous!!

Jari said...

The master bedroom is excellent. I love the Chevron rug. I have a weird obsession of the chevron pattern. Plus, a fireplace in your bedroom!! Does it work?

Mandy said...

We don't know if it does- we really need to try and find out- that would be awesome! :)

Mandy said...

thank you gillian!! :)

Money Family Musings said...

Wow, you have such great taste!

Amanda said...

Amazing Decor... I would of never guess things would look this awesome on a budget :) Great job
Blessings
From Amanda @ http://livinginhismercyandgrace.blogspot.com/

elizabeth Winter said...

I love everything about this!

A Journey For Life said...

Beautiful, love the color of the headboard!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! You have inspired me!

thepostonsrock said...

I love it! But that door, though...it's so beautiful plus the transom, it made me weep!! Aaah...

Nedelka said...

Beautiful!

Angela ~ Call Her Blessed said...

That headboard! Love the whole deal. Your look is one that I like!

Ashleigh Massey said...

Beautiful, way to go, applaud your talents and being a mom/teacher all at the same time:) I'm still on two kids and work part time, mostly stay at home though:) Really like your blogs

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love your door with the transom window!!! Does that door really lead to the out of doors... or just look like it? I love that old lock and handle on it too!!! Lovely all around, Mandy!! Fabulous job!!

Ashleigh Massey said...

Beautiful, way to go, applaud your talents and being a mom/teacher all at the same time:) I'm still on two kids and work part time, mostly stay at home though:) Really like your blogs

Ashleigh Massey said...

Beautiful, way to go, applaud your talents and being a mom/teacher all at the same time:) I'm still on two kids and work part time, mostly stay at home though:) Really like your blogs

Cheryl Adams said...

Beautiful Mandy!

Aliesha Caldwell said...

It looks so beautiful! My favorite parts are the mirror on the dresser, the ceiling, and that you have a fireplace in your bedroom! We live in an old house too (1920) but all the fireplaces (at least 7 originally) except for one were removed/covered up.

Lindsay Arthur said...

You and your husband did an amazing job!!! We're in the same boat, I choose colours, design, and decorative items:))) He does all the work and we love it that way! My husband jokes around and calls me the "foreman"!!!! I'm always eyeing up all he does and he's such a champ about it! Great job on all the colours! I really like how it turned out!

Seaweed and Raine said...

The dresser and the chair made my heart go skippety-skip when I saw them. What treasures. And an even better treasure is a husband who loves you as deeply and thoughtfully (and patiently with all those little wallpaper nails!!!) As yours does.
Sheree

April said...

Absolutely perfect! I have a superman hubby too... what a blessing.

Adrienne Reina said...

So loving on your room right now, you did an awesome job!! Now come do mine. Lol...I see we have alot of the same tastes. I love old things especially when they look weathered. thanks for sharing and inspiring us!!
Lots of love & blessings,
Adrienne @ www.reina4jesus.blogspot.com

JoyBelle said...

I think I'm in love with you.

No, please don't think I'm crazy. And it ain't that kind of love. Just in love with your family, your decorating, your love for Christ. Love, love, love! AND I have an old dresser I want to paint cherry red and do all the different knobs on. I've never seen anyone else do the knob mix until I saw your post now, eek! So of course I love that and all the other charm in the room.

Can I hire your husband to come and do the exterior work on our house? Please? LOL! In all seriousness he did a fantastic job and you have every right to be proud of him!

Jessica H said...

Wow! So gorgeous! Great job!

Denny a.k.a. Mommy said...

So lovely! You inspire me. I love the idea of making a beautiful home without breaking the budget :-)

Mandy said...

hehee! oh no, I know what you mean! I want to see that dresser too when you get done with it! :) And if you were around our parts I know my would probably be willing to paint your house too, LOL! He's really good at it! :)

Mandy said...

aww yay! thank you!