Thursday, April 24, 2014

thursday things: room redo's underway, delicious soup, and my coffee/reading motivation

We are having house guests this weekend, and we are in excited-scramble mode to get ready for them. We didn't end up having our planned garage sale due to a miscommunication on work days ;), so we ended up donating much of our pile instead of selling it. I'm kind of relieved that it didn't work out, as well as glad that a local ministry gets to benefit from our stuff. It was hard, but it was time to let go. :) 

Rob's free time this week has been working on getting the boys' room ready for our friends. We had two gallons of Urban Sunrise {Valspar} that didn't work out downstairs, but thankfully did work out in their attic room:




The boys emptied out their room into the girls' room and the upstairs living area, so I have my work cut out for me before Saturday. :) I think we could probably have another garage sale just from cleaning the upstairs out again!


The paint is all dry up there, so it's time for me to get moving. Honestly, I'd really like to stay downstairs and eat this inhale this lovely smell all day instead:


{Last night after grocery shopping I went ahead and made a pot of Edie's creamy chicken tortilla soup (with a few modifications- I didn't have onions/garlic so I used dried), and it is delicious. You have to try it!}


Or even better, I'd really love to sit on the couch and read lots of new ebooks from the Ultimate Homemaking Bundle with a cup of coffee in hand, but I know that those two will feel better when I'm done with all the upstairs work anyway. Maybe it's Type A, but I don't enjoy leisurely things with work hanging over my head very well. :) I have to use them as motivation to keep moving! :D

 

Okay, I'm going now while they baby is still sleeping.  Pray for me. :P 


What's on your plate right now? {hehehe}

Does having visitors inspire you to tackle big projects or is that just for crazy people like me? :P

9 comments:

Julie @ Logger's Wife said...

- Maple syrup season is finally over. I am still canning syrup that is stored in 5 gallon buckets for now but I only have 4.5 gallons left. The snow is finally gone so in another couple of weeks when the ground is fully thawed out we can start doing some gardening and yard work. Yay!

- We have a guest/storage room in the basement. The storage section sorta overtakes the guest room side so having guests usually means a massive cleaning down there. This summer we will be putting up a wall to make it truly two separate rooms. Which will actually give me more storage space as it will give me an extra wall to put shelves up on.


I love that paint color! We live in a 1970 fixer-upper, that was last updated in the 90s. I'm currently dealing with 1990s wallpapered paneling until I can get the time to mud and paint the drywall under it. One room at a time. :) Valspar is my favorite paint brand.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am new to your blog so I'm gonna tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a minister's wife, a mother of 4 (one in heaven), a homeschool teacher and a flawed follower of Christ. My youngest is 8 months, so I really resonate with all the struggles about not sleeping and all the blessings of having such a sweet little one :) We have a Bible study group that meets in our home every week which we really need and enjoy. It's a challenge to keep the house clean enough for people, and humbling when it's not :) Right now, my "project" is getting ready for a yard sale. Thankfully we have a guest room that's not being used so it's taking the brunt of the mess. We just got news that we are expecting again! So unexpected! So thankful to God but also overwhelmed at the thought of starting over when I just began to see daylight (i.e. sleep, routine). Prayers appreciated! Thank you so much for your blog! It means so much to me. I know that you don't know me, but I feel as though you are a friend who visits me often and speaks truth into my daily life. Thanks and God bless!

Mandy said...

oh I know that feeling- one room at a time here too! :) It's taken us 4 years to get to their room, Lol! And valspar is definitely our favorite over all the name brands!! So glad you're almost done canning! :)

Mandy said...

oh yay! congratulations on your new baby!! I'm so excited for you! I can understand where you are exactly with your youngest- it does feel like the light at the end of the tunnel a bit! I will pray for you for sure- that your little one naps well so you can get rest, that you will feel well, and that the summer will be a wonderful recovery break from school for you! What is your name? :)

Sophie from France said...

I do the same! Having visitors inspire me ...so you're not alone or...I'm crazy people too (I dont' know the right answer ;) I think I'll try your soup tonight (or tomorrow night), it's sound so yummy! And in my plate right now...Porridge! It's the morning here!

Little Square Farmhouse said...

Mandy, You're such an inspiration. So wonderful seeing such a young, vibrant mama being such a great example to her family, and to others!
Thanks for your blog!
Blessings,
Leah

P.S. What brand is your darling pot that your soup was in? :)

Mandy said...

oh, thank you for your kind words Leah!! :D

{the pot is a Le Creuset my husband bought at the outlet mall!}

Anonymous said...

April :) Thanks for prayers. Unfortunately we don't break for the summer :( I see pics of your kids doing school on the computer. Do you use a computer-based curriculum? I am thinking about it for the upcoming school year. It may make things easier when #4 comes along. Read an article today that you might like: http://www.feminagirls.com/2014/04/24/the-oxen-are-in/#more-6309

Sophie from France said...

Soup done! It's really really delicious! We love it!!
Have a great week-end with your guests!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...