what we've been up to for the last few days

A new, unwanted first happened this week: the first stomach bug in our family in over a year, and little Zane's first one ever.  :(


Apparently there's an evil bug going around that lasts for several days. :( Zaner mostly had stomach cramps instead of other symptoms, so I felt especially bad for him being so little and in such pain. It would come and go, and some days were randomly worse than others! Thankfully, he is finally getting better since yesterday.

So far it seems to be only affecting the littles- no one else in our family has gotten it. {praying that Lord-willing, we won't!}. 


It's so hard to see my babies get sick. I was thinking about it as I held him for all of those hours... what about all the children around the world who get sick and have no one to hold them and stroke their silky little heads? :(

I felt so thankful that my little Zane has a mama, and it made me ache and pray for all the little ones who were alone and felt like he did. 

And then I thought of all the mamas who have littles with chronic illnesses, and my heart hurt for them. Imagining having a baby in pain constantly, and not being able to do anything for them... oh, I need to pray for these mamas way more often. What an incredibly hard thing. And you know there are so many hurting families under this trial right now.

Even in sickness, and hours of holding babies on the sofa- there is so much to be thankful for- the blessing of health every day, the blessing of medicine and the medical help that's readily available, the blessing of a God who hears and calms our fears, for milk, pedialyte, and fresh water for the baby, for His gracious timing that we weren't all sick at the same time...

Maybe someday I will no longer be surprised by the fact that there is always so much to praise Him for. :) And hopefully by that day I will also remember that there is always someone to pray for at the same time...

Do you know of anyone we can pray for with a chronic illness today? Or any illness?

20 comments

Kenz2410 said...

Poor Zaner :( Glad to hear he's doing better though. I think this all the time when I'm rocking my 8 month old....there are so many sweet babies out there who don't have mommas to rock them. It breaks my heart just thinking about it! Thanks for reminding me how important it is to be in prayer for them.

BridgetP said...

I try to always remember that even in our own personal worst-of-times there are a countless amount of people who are praying for what we've been blessed with. We have the comfort of family and of God. I hope everyone is feeling better very soon.

Felicias Red Door Life said...

Poor Zane, hope he feels better fast. Having a little one in pain is no walk in the park.

Spencer Watson said...

Please, Mandy, pray for my son Matt. He has an incredibly rare genetic syndrome that doesn't even have a name - it's a micro deletion on his 17th chromosome. He is nonverbal, and when he hurts - physically or emotionally - he can't tell me. His tears then stab my heart. Thank you for your blog! I enjoy it every day! You have a lovely family.

Spencer Watson said...

That's my other son in the pic! Sorry. My name is Amy, btw.

Dana said...

I know I am not a baby, but I was recently diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, a disease similar to Crohn's Disease. Today I was told I am anemic (due to the colitis) but the medicine for the anemia could make the colitis worse. On top of all that, I have been battling bronchitis this week! I would appreciate prayers as I try to navigate all this, while keeping a positive and joyful mindset throughout. I am thankful I am a teacher so I have the summer off right now, and not yet a mother so I can rest and heal, but my brother is getting married this weekend and I so want to be bronchitis free for the wedding!

Mellissa Rose said...

Amy - I am praying for you right now. I pray that God will help your family and especially Matt! How awful.

I have a condition called RSD. It is a chronic pain nerve condition which causes pain. I would appreciate prayers. I know that God will use this condition for His good and I am trying to focus on that. Thanks!

I also love your blog. Zane is such a cutie!

Crystal said...

I read somewhere that red grape juice will keep a stomach bug at bay. The last time some of our family (we are a family of 6) came down with one everyone started drinking 2 or 3 glasses a day. The rest of us never caught it. Just thought I would pass that along.

Spencer Watson said...

Thank you, Melissa! I'm praying for you as well. I keep reminding myself that God has plans for us, plans for GOOD, and not for evil.

Anonymous said...

Just remember, too, that by getting sick as a baby, he won't be sick as often or as severely as an adult. His immunity is being built through the illness.

Anonymous said...

I'm moved to add something else. This is Amy - I'm computer ignorant so I don't want my other children seeing. I am convinced that Satan was/is working on me - 6 years ago I planned to end it all - me and Matt both. He turned around and smiled at me - and said "mama." Of course and then I cried and held him. What I'm saying is that Satan CONVINCED me it was best for everybody. I'm seeking to be closer to Jesus every day - Matt is 15 now - but sometimes it's still hard. We MUST acknowledge that evil is real. I've felt it's pull. Only Christ delivered me.

Mandy said...

oh praise the LORD!! :D He is so good!! And I am thankful for your testimony- it IS real, and we do have an enemy. Thank you for sharing your story!

Mandy said...

Absolutely, Amy. My heart goes out to you- thank you for caring and loving him like you do!!

Mandy said...

oh will pray for you Dana- thank you for sharing!!

Mandy said...

oh thank you for the heads up!!

Mandy said...

hey girl!! I'm praying for you!! So glad you mentioned it so we could pray with you!!

E said...

Poor baby! I hope he feels better soon! I would say maybe the mamas who have chronic illnesses need some prayers too. I was so thankful to have my mom here when I had my post partum RA flare and had trouble walking and carrying my tiny newborn (who's not so tiny now!)

Anonymous said...

Would you please pray for my husband? He has an immune deficiency disease called CVID, although it is not curable they did say that it can be treated.

Anonymous said...

Go to the website

www.prayingfornoah.com

Kate and Jeff are parents of 8 beautiful children. They are a well-known Christian homeschooling family. Their son Noah (7th of 8) has a mitochondrial disease which is progressive and incurable. Kate remains solidly grounded in her faith despite the constant onslaught of Noah's disease and blogs about her faith and Noah and the families ups and downs. Her solid faith often brings me to tears...

Anonymous said...

Please continue to pray for those of us with chronically ill kiddos.