finding a pot of gold

When we went on our anniversary trip, I found this little gem of a planter hiding in the bottom of a big hutch full of dishes at Anthropologie:


At $14, it was far less per lb. than every other Anthro item ;), and the gold one I found is the perfect shade {it seems a little more muted than the pictures, actually} so I thought it would be a fun souvenir of our 12th anniversary. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it in our house:


I think it would make a beautiful plant holder too, if I get tired of using it as a utensil holder. :D


You can barely see it here, but hey- my last utensil holder was a pot too. :)


I didn't end up finding anything else at Anthro, but I was quite happy with my big ole gold pot-turned-utensil-holder souvenir. :D 

Do you ever use any unexpected items in everyday life? 
I also use the silverware drawer for holding every random piece of junk in my house until it overflows and I can't see the forks if that counts...heheheh! 

7 comments

Jessica Albers said...

Using random things in unexpected way is sort of my thang..... :) My current favorite is a small spice rack we got for our wedding. I put tiny little terra cotta pots in it and planted fairy garden plants and succulents in it as well as added a few little items for visual appeal. It's in the window of my 1/2 bath. Love it!

Brittany Price said...

Your kitchen is beautiful! Love it!

Felicias Red Door Life said...

I love it and when I saw the silver one immediately thought of a utensil holder. Of course this is from the girl who has her forks/spoons/knives in mason jars on her counter.

Anonymous said...

An old china cabinet holds my fabric stash. The full glass front allows for viewing and color arranging of fabric of all kinds (clothing, linens, fabric, upholstery - new and vintage) but keeps it all contained. Helpful to see the whole collection, otherwise it's too easy to forget what I've got.

Anonymous said...

An old china cabinet holds my fabric stash. The full glass front allows for viewing and color arranging of fabric of all kinds (clothing, linens, fabric, upholstery - new and vintage) but keeps it all contained. Helpful to see the whole collection, otherwise it's too easy to forget what I've got.

mwimp said...

i use an old Heinz pea can for my utensil holder

Anonymous said...

I bought my "utensil holder" (repurposed pottery) at a yard sale for $6.00 and as soon as I saw it, I thought it would look great on my counter. And it does.