August 7, 2014

going way, way back: my senior prom to 14 years later

Today, I'm going way, way back, to my high school banquet 14+ years ago. :) {I still can't believe it was that long ago!} We didn't dance at our Christian school {which makes SO much sense to me now that I'm old! ha!}, but we did have a banquet.

a big thank you to my friend Lonna for posting this oldie on Facebook! :D
How many people can say they went to their high school prom with the father of their children? :)

Back in 2000, he was 20, in college and drove a fancy silver new sports car, and I was a senior, 17, and excited about the prospect of college and life on my own. We had been friends for a few years at that point, and we both knew when we first started going out my senior year that we were looking for a future spouse. And of course, you know the story- a little over two years after this prom, I became his. ;)

Standing there at my prom that day, I wouldn't have guessed that in 14 years we'd have 5 kids, a very old house, 13 wildly reproducing molly fish, and a crazy fun life together.

This weekend we're celebrating our 12th {!} wedding anniversary, and I have to tell you: I'm continually amazed at the fact that I'm married to my high school sweetheart. :)

12 years later, it's still exciting. :) The Lord has been so kind to us!!



Happy {early} anniversary, baby! I love you like crazy.

18 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, how wonderful!! I'm married to my prom date as well. ;) :) Also, I'm just saying - you haven't aged AT ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too! Met at 14, prom at 17, married at 22! Married 23 years! God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet! My husband and I met when we were 21 and 22, and we always wish we had met even earlier. The more time together the better. Congratulations on your anniversary:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! Happy anniversary :)

    I actually did go to prom with the man I married. We met and started dating at 17 and started dating shortly before I graduated and then went to his prom the next year. Married at 19 and still married 10 years and three kids later. It is such a gift to have met and married so young!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How great, congrats! I went to my senior prom with my husband as well and we just celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary in June. :). I'm so grateful to have found my love so young!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to both of you.
    We recently celebrated our 26th.
    Where does time go?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary!!!!! What a sweet post. I went to prom with the man I married too. We have been together for 20 years and married for 13 yrs. And have two beautiful kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You never age, Mandy!

    Happy anniversary! May the love of the Lord shine down on you and Rob always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I met my hubby when I was 23 and he was 24. I wish we had known each other earlier, but looking back at both our lives, it never would've been a good time beforehand! God doesn't make mistakes - not one! :) Thank you for sharing bits of your love story. It is inspiring and touching to see that the love between you never fades. I know life sure can throw rocks at our marriages, but we have Christ to keep them strong! Stay strong girl, and enjoy that precious man He gave you! God bless you guys! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Went to my Junior and Senior prom with my now-hubby! We married after my freshman year of college and just celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary this summer! I really think God spared us from many youthful mistakes with our young marriage. But, of course, He has transformed us so much since then! Praying blessings over your marriage, Mandy! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sophie from FranceAugust 10, 2014 at 4:56 PM

    Bon anniversaire de mariage! (in french in the text!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary Mandy! Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to you both! What a great legacy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our 13th anniversary is today. We got married at 22 and 20 (although I turned 21 a week later) and now we are parents to 5!
    It's a crazy good life! Happy anniversary to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's early morning here in Northern Ireland and I'm up feeding my 5th baby, reading your blog entry, and looking at a picture of me and my hubby at my school formal (what we call a prom over here!). I actually remember my husband at primary school when I was 9 and he was 10 playing the clarinet in the school orchestra!! We are married 12 years past in January. What a 12 years it has been. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Anniversary to you both! Congratulations on the beautiful marriage and friendship. You both are a blessing to so many. What are your plans to celebrate?

    ReplyDelete
  17. (i'm always late to the party. sorry - i blame my son and our new house for taking all of my time and making me 20+ days late on my feedly reader) but hey! you are more beautiful now than you were in the first picture. whoa. i've changed since high school, but i don't know that i can say i'm more radiant! congrats on your anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My prom date was my husband of 33 years and father of our two 20-something sons.

    ReplyDelete

Oh, thank you so much for leaving a comment! I read every single one, and try to respond if I can! Thank you for being a part of the {bh} community!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...