Wednesday, October 15, 2014

costco finds + reviews {love it or leave it scale}

When we hit up Costco last week I had a list of things to buy that were my favorites, and if you're a Costco/Sam's member you probably can guess what happened... ;)

I waited too long, and they had less than half of the items I came for. The seasons switched on me or something, and I had to find new things to try there. {insert happy/sad/happy face}

So I figured I would review our new Costco food favorites on a scale of love it or leave it {at the store}.

10 = love it, 1 = leave it! :)

1. Snapea Crisps


These tasted a little strange for the first bite but we quickly grew to love them. The baby is very picky about food, and he loves them too! They are made of snap peas and rice and a couple of other ingredients. The only downside is I can't stop eating them! hahah!

Love it or leave it:
** 8 **

2. Kirkland Organic Animal Crackers


Oh! These have something homey-tasting in them like cinnamon, and are more like cookies than animal crackers. The baby will eat them occasionally, but I don't like to give them to him because they are way messy! :) And I'm not sure what I was thinking bringing 4 lbs. of yummy carbs into my kitchen. They are slightly evil. And so delicious.

Love it or leave it:
** 9 **

3. Crispy Veggie Chips


I try not to eat chips or bread often, so these actual vegetable chips were an exciting find. I loved them more than anyone else in our house by far. I never thought I would be so excited about dehydrated veggies. :) They are salty and take a bit to eat each one {unlike processed versions!}.

Love it or leave it:
** 10 **

4. Snappers dark chocolate sea salt caramel treats


My tastebuds keep surprising me, because I thought I would love these and I didn't love them too much. I did like that each treat took a while to eat, but they were so salty that I didn't feel like I had much of a sweet. And they kind of tear up your mouth like Captain Crunch. If you offered me one for free, I would eat it, but I wouldn't buy them again. ;)

Love it or leave it:
** 5 **

5. Kirkland Soft & Chewy Granola bars


My kids love these, and I love how convenient they are. They do have corn syrup of the non-high fructose variety, and I think they taste a little weird like maple or pancake syrup. They were a repeat purchase, so I guess we like them well enough. I prefer my homemade version but luckily the wrappers on these keep me from over-snacking. ;)

Love it or leave it:
** 7 **

6. Rosarita No Fat Refried Beans


We love these beans for our Mexican food nights. My husband loves refried beans so much he will dip them with chips, and all the kids will eat these beans.

Love it or leave it:
** 8 **

7. Pre-cooked Organic Super Grain Trio {freekah, farro, kamut}


I have found convenience foods like these to be so helpful in keeping a healthy diet. I am the only one who eats these most of the time, though I will heat up one for Rob in a pinch. I only eat a cup or two of grains every now and then so making a big batch in advance doesn't work well for me right now. These packages are awesome, though they require a microwave {which we don't have anymore}. If you're buying for one person, these 90-second grains are worth the cost.

Love it or leave it:
** 8 **

8. Tasty Bite Madras Lentils


I mentioned these before, and we do love them still. I don't eat them myself {legumes and I don't get along}, but Rob eats one of these instead of sandwiches for a somewhat healthier lunch. I'll put them over chips, rice, or even pinto beans and he's a happy camper. He loves them!!

Love it or leave it:
** 8 **


 9. Pink Atlantic Wild Alaskan Salmon



I know I tend to like stranger foods altogether, but I love this straight up with a little salt. It's a splurge  to buy the wild version, but the wild version actually has less calories and way more protein! And it tastes better to me. It's a once a week food for me too, so I can get a variety of vitamins and proteins.

Love it or leave it:
** 9 **

10. Organic Butternut Squash


I love this squash! But- it goes bad rather quickly, so I've had to throw it out twice.  I am not fast enough to eat it all, and I waited too long to cook it both times I've bought it. :(

Love it or leave it:
** 4 **

Those are my current buys, but I would love to hear what you think! :)

Is there anything new I need to try next time I'm at Costco?  :D

Mixed sweet +salty = mixed emotions for you too? :P lol!

What do you think? Are healthier convenience foods worth the cost to you?

23 comments:

Teri said...

Ahhhh the snap pea crisps are my new addiction. however try to get the caesar flavored....i finished the whole bag in two days. and btw i am 8 months pregnant so i think that is totally acceptable :)

Mandy said...

mmmmm!!! Caesar might be the end of me!! I think it's totally acceptable to eat a whole bag in 2 days. I could do it unpregnant!! hahah!

Julie @ Loggers Wife said...

I tried those Snapea things. One bite and I threw the whole thing away. Good thing it was just a sample bag I didn't pay for. :)

CJ said...

Freeze the butternut squash!

everydaymomma said...

I agree with all your thoughts except those chocolate pretzel things I looobed those so much and I have the same problem with the squash going bad:( I love these kind of posts!

Farrah said...

I keep the Late July tortilla chips on hand for a quick meal. They currently have a lime flavored edition that excited to try.

terre said...

i am with both of you -- i just discovered the same green snapeas thingys and i love them. but i am watching my salt intake so i have to limit myself to a few at a time.

Anonymous said...

Next time just throw the squash in the freezer till you gave time to cook it!

Mandy said...

can you do that? Do you have to blanch it? I didn't even think about it!

Mandy said...

Hey now next time, mail the rest of them to me, ok? hahhaha!! :)

Stephanie Zürcher said...

You don't have to blanch squash. Just freeze it and thaw when ready to cook! I buy squash on sale and freeze it in chunks for soup all the time in winter!

Jan said...

You can make soup out of it also!

Heather Duncan said...

I tend to not buy any produce at any warehouse stores, unless I will use it all that day or the next. I find that it goes bad really fast. It is also cheaper to buy a while butternut squash (and even more cheap to grow it yourself like I do). Plus it will last a bit longer whole. I hate butternut squash, but the hubby loves it. I will cook it up and mash it and freeze it in 1 cup portions for him.

Sophie from france said...

Yes for butternut soup! With cream and crispy bacon! I'm hungry now ;)

Anonymous said...

These all look devine. I doubt that any of these will be in their UK stores thought -other than their salmon And butternut. Will keep an eye out for them.

Sabrina said...

The pumpkin bark from Costco is amazing!!

Sherie said...

Do you do anything with the grain trio or the salmon or just them as is? I love butternut squash....I toss it with olive oil and fresh sage then roast it in the oven....yum!!

Anonymous said...

I am NOT a fan of butternut squash typically, but I made a butternut red lentil mix for my baby last year, and he loved it. Then, I decided to turn that baby treat into an adult soup with butternut, red lentils, garlic, salt&pepper to taste, and some cayenne. My hubby and I both LOVE it!! Just cook the squash and lentils til tender, throw in the blender, and season to taste! YUM! Make it as thick or thin as you like. - Amber BR

Unknown said...

We love butternut squash, too. There are only two of us in our house, so I chop up a whole butternut squash, use what we need, and then freeze the remainder of it (raw). It is wonderful when it comes time to use some more for soups or side dishes, just pop the cubes out that are needed, thaw, and cook. I use a vacuum sealer, but you can certainly use freezer storage bags and press out as much air as possible. Be sure to label the bag with the date. ;)

Andrea

Mellissa Rose said...

I absolutely LOVE the Snapea ones. Yum, yum, yum! I find mine on Amazon since I live far from a grocery store that carries them.

Andrea Newby said...

We LOVE Snapea Crisps in our home! They are fun to eat out of the bag, but we also crunch them up and put them in salads. So yummy!

Heather B. said...

Have enjoyed reading a few of your posts. I bookmarked your page and I finally got back to it for a bit tonight as the kids wind down and the baby sleeps:) Those snap peas are so good, everyone in the house enjoys them. I really wish they made a family size bag! It's gone in a flash:) God bless.

Molly Bronson said...

MMMMM, we LOVE the Organic animal crackers at our house!! All of us love them, not just kiddos =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...