Wednesday, November 12, 2014

building the walls {our new home exterior: 1 month in}

It's been a while since I've shared a house update! It's come a long way since the last time I showed you our progress! :)

Here's what our property looked like when I posted last time:


After the dirt was filled in, the slab was poured. We did one of the coolest things after the slab was poured- we got to be there when they popped the chalk lines on the concrete for the walls:


That made me nervous, I tell you. We spent four hours outlining exactly where we wanted every window, door, and wall. We initially drew up our own plans in a home building program, so I had spent hours living in this imaginary house in my head, trying to think out each space in depth before we committed to it. And then to see my imaginary floorplan on a real piece of concrete was a little more than surreal. :)

But it was even weirder and more exciting when the actual framing began a few days later:


It's a real house! :D EEEK! The cute little roof was going up too:


I didn't know if we would have one or not in the beginning, but the front porch turned out to be one of my very favorite features of the house:


Rob likes it too. :D I can imagine lots of schoolwork, reading, and playing being done here:


We had to climb a ladder up 12 ft. to get to the second floor before the walls were there. It gave me a new respect for the framers. They are hardcore, building houses and roofs up in the air! :)



And like that, our house was born:


Well, hello home. :D


We have lots more pictures, but I'll save them for the next update! :)

Have you ever built a house?
We've built two houses before this one, but I've always had very limited selections compared to designing it yourself. It's a little nerve-wracking to be a perfectionist and build your own house. :P Funny thing is, you would never think about window placement if you bought a house instead of built one, so I'm trying to remember that it's not that important. ;)

Favorite house style?
I'm a traditional girl. I like classic houses that will be just as beautiful 50 {or 118} years later. For this house, we tried to build a house with a simple, classic style to save money on construction.

12 comments:

Bekah said...

I LOVE this! My husband has a huge dream to build a house, but I don't know if we'll end up building or buying when we are finally able to sell the home we're living in {mine from before our marriage} and the one he lived in before we were married. I work at a radio station, and our station has partnered with Habitat for Humanity to build a house for a family here in our area. All the staff take turns working at the site and on my first visit, I had to help wrap the house with Tyvek...so those pictures of yours definitely brought back memories! :)

Nicky said...

This is so exciting! I love seeing home progress :) My husband and I would love to build our own home some day. So if you have any tips on how to even begin, I'd gladly hear any tips. It's amazing how fast the construction team can work. Congrats on your new home!

Rachel Mohn said...

Wow! I am so excited for you guys. I am going to be watching very closely because we are going to put our house on the market next summer. We will be building our forever home. Nik bought the land 18 yrs ago in hopes to have a family and build a home on it. He was 17 when he bought it. I love seeing the progression of your house.

Anonymous said...

I am excited for you and your family. The house already looks like it will be a beauty. I personally love large front porches. They just seem so welcoming and, in my opinion, add character to a home. :-)

~~Sarah in GA~~

JoyBelle said...

Never built. Not sure that we will. I'm a traditional girl. We have to have the covered porch (doesn't necessarily have to wrap-around but a wrap-around would be amazing). I like classics. I cannot wait to see how yours turns out!!!

Anonymous said...

How exciting. Did you write scripture in the still wet foundation? Iris

HIS daughter said...

Love this! We actually just moved into our first home and, while we didn't have to completely build it, we turned a breezeway/garage into an in-law apartment for our Gram and then a dining room and pantry and entry for us. It took months so I can't imagine how long a whole house must seem to be taking! :) So worth it in the end! :) Super excited to see yours continue to be created! :)

mommaren said...

This will be exciting to watch! We broke ground three weeks ago and you are much further along than us. I haven't even started any posts on my blog because there really isn't any news! You know we will want details: how many beds/baths, office? Congratulations!!!

Kevin and Suzanne said...

I love what you've done so far. Would love to know what building program you used as we're in the beginning of it all.

Rebekah @ Living && Learning said...

I would love to hear about your house plans/building program! We've got the land & a general plan in our minds of what we'd like to build and hopefully we'll break ground in the next 3 years!

Mary Renee said...

Oh, it looks like it's going to be my kind of house! :) Can't wait to see the finished product.
Do you mind sharing the building program? We're looking at building and I'd love to be able to design my own home.

Alexis said...

Congrats! We just built our first custom home.... it was a crazy season- 5 days after we moved in our OVERDUE 3rd baby was born :) :)

One suggestion since you can add things to your home- If you get central vac (which I recommend!) Get a van pan installed in your kitchen and mudroom- makes the multiple sweep ups a day with kids so easy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...