I'll wear them outside or to kickboxing once and think oh man they're ruined now and then I suddenly remember I can wash them in with my (not-so-PC/natural-now) friend bleach (shhhhhh):
Some tricks I've learned for bleaching your tennis shoes are:
1. Bleach them as soon as they get really dirty. (I didn't do that this time, the pink sat for a few weeks). You can bleach colorful tennis shoes in most cases if they're made from artificial material only (no cotton!).
2. Use the Clorox if possible (I tried the off-brand this time and it wasn't as good). Be SO CAREFUL with it around other laundry- I move everything away and act like the bleach is poison to my skin! I've ruined more than one item with a wayward splash, I promise!
3. Wash them with towels or sheets or other bleachable things that will provide friction/resistance in the washer.
4. Don't dry them in the dryer- let them air dry, preferably in a window/natural light.
5. After you wash them, take them out and admire your "new" shoes all over again and think just how much they motivate you to do the rest of the laundry from the weekend. (right?? right.)
Ever bleached your tennis shoes? Do you have any tips?? :D
Did you ever buy the white shoe polish back in the old days?
I remember doing it to my Adidas/Nike all white casual tennis shoes in 8th-9th grade! ah, the old days! :D