our school day schedule 2016-2017

A few people asked for a close-up of our lesson plans and schedules when I shared them at the beginning of the school year, but since we are all new to Classical Conversations, I wanted to see how it worked before I shared it (it could have been a total bust, because I had no idea what I was doing! :D). Three weeks later, I'm happy to report it's surprisingly going pretty well for us! :D Here's our 2016-2017 daily school/lesson plan schedule for the middle three kiddos:
For Bible, Rob does our family devotionals before his workday starts. Right now we're reading a passage from the book of Acts, then we talk about it, and say our memory verse (some days!), and then do prayer requests and pray together.

For Math at 8 a.m., the boys use Saxon videos (1 lesson), Isabella uses Teaching Textbooks (two 10-minute lessons per day), and Ava is using BJU. For Spelling, we are using Spelling Plus for the first time and I love it (the boys have a harder spelling list than Isabella), and Ava does a Word Building pace from ACE.  


For Foundations I thought of lots of things to do on the schedule, but we mainly focus on practicing their memory work, and then after that we have fun learning about the parts of the world's timeline and doing handwriting and notebooking at the end of the week. :)

For grammar and writing I took the daily work activities straight from the curriculum, and they're almost exactly what we do each day, with the exception of adding new vocabulary words and dictating weekly sentence 5 (a more advanced one). :) Bella and Noah both LOVE the sentence dictation and the diagramming, which kind of thrills my heart because I love it too. :D

In the afternoons, we finish any leftover work, the children spend time reading aloud and practicing their weekly presentations (I added that to our schedule to start before Tuesdays this week :D), and then around 2:30-2:45 p.m. we start cleaning up and go upstairs for a nap/quiet time until 3:30.


This schedule is much easier on us than last year, but this year we're starting earlier, working hard through lunch time, and then have more relaxed work time in the afternoon. Editing and turning in a paper each week for the older ones has been a challenge that averages longer than the allotted hour per day right now, but I think it might take us longer because we are still new to the TWSS formula of writing.

I love the way everything is laid out for us in Essentials each week, and our tutor is awesome at explaining everything we need to do so I don't feel lost at all. And all that prep work and DVD watching in the beginning is already paying off- I know what they're talking about every week!! ;) Now it's just putting in the sweat and tears. :P

Overall, I feel like we've had an awesome first three weeks, and I never thought I would be the person to say it but I'm ridiculously grateful for a daily plan that keeps us all on track! :)